Couple Questions About Using Mail With Heliohost

mlex

1) There was restriction of 50 outgoing mails per day before - is this changed somehow today(on Tommy)?

Does autoresponder considering as outgoing mail?

Are there any restrictions about incoming mail quota too?

2) I've setup my HelioHost mail account so it will forward mails to my Gmail account, but the copies are saved on HelioHost end - is there anyway to disable that option, or perhaps remove them automatically somehow?

3) (not really HelioHost related question) I'm trying to find a way and hide the original HelioHost IP when sending an email.

When I send email from my Gmail account(not as username@gmail.com, but as username@mydomain.com), instead of Gmail's, there's HelioHost IP and info inside the sent mail headers.

Is there anyway to hide it(not really to hide as none, but to show Gmail's for example or some other)?

1. Still 50 a day out, no limit in. Auto-responder messages do count.

2. I don't know. I'd have to look into it more.

3. No, at least not with our system. Gmail used to have a way to do this by sending the mail using their own server, but they took it away two years ago and required you to use the matching smtp server (ours). Header data will always reflect the server where the mail was sent, though what's in the "from" field can be easily faked when using php to send the mail.

Thanks, wolstech, I'll appreciate it. Because I can't find this option(I think it doesn't exist :) )

BTW: If the incoming mail is forwarded to another mail - does this counts as outgoing(is it counted as one of the limited 50 mails)?

I also noticed that one of the emails didn't forwarded at all(I've tested only 3-4 mails), I've tried to look for logs, but there's only logs for yesterday(perhaps it will be updated tomorrow), but I'm not sure if I'll be able to see this kind of thing in this logs. The only way I can think of why this could happen is that Gmail is blocked the sender - it wasn't me who sent this mail. But I don't have any anti-spam mechanism with Gmail nor do I see it in spam folder or something alike. Weird.

That's odd, Byron... Why would "Default Address" give me this option? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as I got it, the "Default Address" is for unrouted email - means if someone sends to not existing email box at your domain, it allows you to configure what you're willing to do about it: a) reply as "this kind of email doesn't exist here" or b.) forward this mail to real mailbox - the Default Address. That's what makes it default

That's odd, Byron... Why would "Default Address" give me this option? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as I got it, the "Default Address" is for unrouted email - means if someone sends to not existing email box at your domain, it allows you to configure what you're willing to do about it: a) reply as "this kind of email doesn't exist here" or b.) forward this mail to real mailbox - the Default Address. That's what makes it default

It sends ALL mail to my gmail account but I never set up any mailboxes either.

BTW: If the incoming mail is forwarded to another mail - does this counts as outgoing(is it counted as one of the limited 50 mails)?

I also noticed that one of the emails didn't forwarded at all(I've tested only 3-4 mails)

I've always wondered this myself, but I put very little email through here on a daily basis so have never asked. They probably do, though I feel like they really shouldn't be since it'd basically use up your outbound quota on incoming mail.

As for lost email, one thing to check is to make sure you're not testing by sending mail to yourself from the destination mailbox (i.e. sending mail from your gmail to your Tommy account, expecting Tommy to forward it back to gmail). Gmail rejects the emails without telling you (I discovered this the hard way back when I was on Stevie).

Yeah, Byron, that's what Default Mail is. You probably have option "Forward to Email Address" checked.

I find this option very unsecure. It's can be easily abused.

wolstech, I wasn't testing it like that, the mail I didn't get was actually from a third-party company. Wasn't big deal.

I've always wondered this myself, but I put very little email through here on a daily basis so have never asked. They probably do, though I feel like they really shouldn't be since it'd basically use up your outbound quota on incoming mail.

We should test it :)

We should test it :)

It's easier to just have Krydos tell us, since getting suspended for sending too many emails can be a pain...

Yeah, going over the limit will get your account suspended. You'll also get suspended if we get an abuse report for your email (which typically is a result of your email being flagged as spam...AOL addresses are especially well known for being report-happy).

It is possible to have the limit raised, but you'd need to specifically request it and have Krydos approve of the reason for the increase and show it's necessary (hitting the limit with non-spam email would qualify). We can also throttle the email on your account instead if it becomes an issue (e.g. limit to a few emails per hour).

We unfortunately have to be very picky with the email service since our servers (especially Johnny) sometimes get abused to send spam or set up phishing sites (which typically also send spam to get people to visit them). We're one of very few free hosts that actually offers usable email service though. Most either disable it entirely or limit it to something unusably low (I know one with a limit of 1 email every 6 hours).

Yeah, Byron, that's what Default Mail is. You probably have option "Forward to Email Address" checked.

I find this option very unsecure. It's can be easily abused.

Exactly. How do you feel this is unsecure?

Byron, well... there's bots who send(trying to) emails just for random mailboxes(similar to brut-forcing), for example you got a byron.com domain, so they will and try to send it to "admin@byron.com", or "hello@byron.com" etc.

It is possible to have the limit raised, but you'd need to specifically request it and have Krydos approve of the reason for the increase and show it's necessary (hitting the limit with non-spam email would qualify). We can also throttle the email on your account instead if it becomes an issue (e.g. limit to a few emails per hour).

This is actually a great alternative, because this solved straight away two problems: 1) it prevents from abusing the system 2) it actually allow the user(of HelioHost) to prevent downtime for his website(suspended-case).

But does this mean the email will eventually come to the destination point? I mean, do they get in the queue if the limit is reached?

We unfortunately have to be very picky with the email service since our servers (especially Johnny) sometimes get abused to send spam or set up phishing sites (which typically also send spam to get people to visit them).

Johnny is different... Because it's for testing purposes(am I wrong?), so obviously there will be bunch of people who will and try to use free services for bad things.

Most either disable it entirely or limit it to something unusably low (I know one with a limit of 1 email every 6 hours).

That's crazy :D But if we're giving examples, I know free host who allow unlimited mails, but with up to 100 mails per hour.

But who cares :D

The most important part of all this is to be stable and usable, because obviously if you hit the mail limit just by someone sending mail through your contact-form on the website and it's forwarding to your email address, and due that you will get suspended - that's not stable, unfortunately.

So it may be wised to just not use forwarding mails, but that's not usable, unfortunately.

• 1 month later...

i want to use gmail to send mail and also for receiving mails , but my code doesnt work .

this is my code

if($status){
$to="$email";
$subject="[Together We] Activate your account";
$message="Hello $username !
Please, confirm your registration by clicking link .Link is valid only for 1 day.
Click to activate:
$headers="From : togetherweindia@gmail.com";
$sentmail=mail($to,$subject,$message,$headers);
}