pluto

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pluto (IPA: /ˈplu.toʊ/), also designated 134340 Pluto, is the second-largest known dwarf planet in the Solar System and the tenth-largest body observed directly orbiting the Sun. Originally considered a planet, Pluto has since been recognised as the largest member of a distinct region called the Kuiper belt.

Edit: Source is Wikipedia.

It stopped being a planet about last year :o

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think Pluto should be a planet based on the fact that somebody found it around 50 years ago using technology of that era. Sure, we can find Pluto like objects now in a similar area of the solar system but our technology has advanced as well. So, based on historical reasons, it should be an "honorary planet". (not too scientific an explanation, I know)

Realistically, they should teach all "planet like objects" to students and alike. In general, a basic knowledge of the Solar System has consisted of knowing the planets, knowing of the asteroid belt, and knowing of various moons existing. That basis of knowledge should be expanded by adding "knowledge of various dwarf planets" (or whatever they are called right now). You should be required to name one (or two?) dwarf planets of which Pluto is one of them. That way, the known objects in the solar system (public knowledge) could expand to include some of these new objects. However, if the dwarf planets aren't really covered, then the solar system turns into 8 planets, some asteroids, and some moons around a star... and that's it.

I suppose it doesn't really matter though. Pluto isn't exactly going anywhere and isn't exactly caring about what jibberish is being discussed on the third planet. Changing the definition of Pluto certainly made some rather upset scientist become a more relaxed individual... while the rest of us just accepted this new fact. Oh well...

I still remember all my little "learning aids" from elementary school with the pretty pictures of all the planets... and pluto was always my favorite. To be honest, it kind of irritates me that everybody made such a big deal about such a technical classification. What kind of difference does it make to de-planetize it?

Yes, I'm sure it has something to do with personal fame, e.g. the fame of the person responsible for the reclassification... but it's just so irritating.

To me, pluto has always been a planet, and it always will be. I might even make a t-shirt that says something like that, just because I care about poor pluto that much.

Yeah, I know. I'm weird. :P

• 3 weeks later...