pluto

well if it is an asteroid..... then its one nice round asteroid :P i dont see how they can just make pluto isnt a planet....... ive lived all my life thinking pluto was a planet and now its just a asteroid or a dwarf planet?how do we know that pluto is like a long donut shaped planet its not like we have taken a picture of all arounf the planet... or have we?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've made this title my article in my school's magazine. WHY PLUTO ISN'T A PLANET ANYMORE?

IAU decision on 2006 had made the following for criteria of a planet:

1. The object must be in orbit around the Sun.

2. The object must be massive enough to be a sphere by its own gravitational force. More specifically, its own gravity should pull it into a shape of hydrostatic equilibrium.

3. It must have cleared the neighbourhood around its orbit.[96]

Pluto failed to fulfill the criteria and with major agreement, Pluto has been designate from the title 'planet'.

For more info, kindly visit NASA site.

http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/planets/profile.cfm?Object=Dwarf

http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/text/...es_20060824.txt

• 1 month later...

Pluto can not be a planet because there are asteroids in the asteroid belt bigger than Pluto. It can not be an asteroid either because it is composed of different materials. There should be a term that describes it, like planeroid or something.

pelytig's explaination is abit too subjective.

If you ever enter the NASA link I provided on top of your post,

you should know the true reason why pluto has been designed from the title "planet"

There should be a term that describes it, like planeroid or something.

There is, it is called a dwarf planet (see Pluto, Classification and Exploration). Rod91 gave us that tidbit of information back in August 2007. Why are we still talking about it? :)

• 4 weeks later...
I don't see why it matters anyway, lol. Whatever you call it, it's still the same actual thing!

Negative!

That matters a lot in the history of education.

The first time when I get this news, the very first thing that came across my mind was,

"what the heck? that means my future son only has 8 planets instead of 9??"

"is that means what I've learn, '9 planets revolving the sun' has to change to 8??"

In future education, kids will learn 8 instead of 9....

this is what matters a lot. It matters the whole world.

You're going by the old adage, what we call a rose would still be a rose by any other name. This is true, but I can't agree that not learning that a rose is classified as a plant rather than a tree is not important. The same can be said about a planet versus a dwarf planet or plutoid. I did a little surfing today and discovered several articles on the web that may interest some of you.

I thought these were pretty revealing about the pluto like objects in our solar system. The first article includes some cool pictures of Pluto and Eris with their moons. The second gives a little background on the discussions about pluto leading up to now. It also talks about how teachers should handle the question of how many planets are in our solar system. The last talks about the intial discovery of pluto and how things have changed in recent years.

We definitely have 8 classical planets in our solar system. As for the rest, I think I'll let the experts decide.

• 1 month later...
There was/is a Facebook group that was created in 'honor' of Pluto. If you want I might be able to find it, but I don't feel like getting on Facebook.

Yea, me too.

but seriously, the pluto thing will certainly leaves an impact in our history, since when I was small, I knew about the 9 planets so much.

but now I've gotta learn only 8 planets, but in addition, a lot of asteroids and dwarf planets.

And who knows in the future, some scientist denied this fact the pluto was a dwarf planet?

p/s: In IAU, there're still a number of scientist disagree that pluto should be categorized as dwarf planet, they'll work something out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am not sure if someone posted this already, and I see that many are saying that Pluto is a planet, and it is NOT. I learned this quite a while ago, when it was first posted on the yahoo home page.

I quote:

"Mason Inman

for National Geographic News

August 24, 2006 (Updated 3:30 p.m. ET)

Pluto has been voted off the island.

The distant, ice-covered world is no longer a true planet, according to a new definition of the term voted on by scientists today. "

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/20...uto-planet.html