PostgreSQL problems remain

seiliki

Hi!

I have never been able to run my web site because PostgreSQL has not been able to run in the way I need. :(

Problem 1. Cpanel shows "There are no databases associated with your account.". Thus I tried to create a PostgreSQL database. I entered various database names and hit "Create Database" button.

Sometimes cpanel responded with "There was a problem creating the database.Show Details". I hit URL "Show Details" and cpanel displays "Error from postgres wrapper:".

I tried this for several times. It also happened that cpanel shows "database xyz added". However, when I go back to PostgreSQL page, cpanel shows "There are no databases associated with your account."!

Problem 2. I can't login to PhpPgAdmin any more using the same account and password as used in helionet.

Problem 3. Last time when I was able to create database, cpanel insisted on using ASCII as the characterset for all newly created databases. It did not allow me to specify UNICODE. Non-UNICODE databases are of no use to me.

Problem 4. Last time when I was able to use PhpPgAdmin, I noticed that the running PostgreSQL was a pretty old version, 7.4. Hopefully it will be upgraded soon.

Regards,

why don't you use mysql databases and phpmyadmin?
Because

1. PostgreSQL is powerful, runs fast, and possesses rich features.

2. I set up a local Elxis and spent a lot of time entering contents in PostgreSQL. Once PostgreSQL in Heliohost is working, I can simply upload the database from my local disk rather than re-enter everything in Heliohost.

Regards,

Try using PGSQL again now.

Hi! djbob,

Wonderful :D

Everthing is back except the UNICODE issue. SQL_ASCII is still the default encoding.

Is it possible to force PostgreSQL to use UNICODE as the default characterset encoding when creating new databases? In Un*x, the UNICODE option for database creation is

-E UNICODE

Example: Command to create a new database using UNICDOE is

createdb -E UNICODE

Replacing SQL_ASCII with UNICODE as the default encoding should have no side effect.

Regards,

I would suggest storing it as ASCII and then converting the bits back when displaying them again.

I did not explained clearly. In fact, my web site will provide multiple languages. UNICODE (UTF-8) is the only choice when considering my requirement and the design of Elxis, which exclusively uses UNICODE.

I am not clear about the process of charactersets conversion you stated. PostgreSQL automatically does the server-client charactersets conversion. The situation is even better in my case - no conversion is required at all if UNICODE can be specified for databases (the server end) when they are being created because Elxis (the client end) also uses UNICODE.

If hard coding UNICODE as the default characterset is not acceptable to Heliohost, I suggest that the control panel at least provides a box for us to specify the characterset when we are creating new databases. For example, if I enter "UNICODE" in that box, then control panel will issue

createdb -E UNICODE

. If another folk enters "SQL_ASCII", then cpanel will issue

createdb -E SQL_ASCII

I am sorry, but I do not develop cPanel. I cannot edit the source code like that. You can manually convert between character sets, however. Just store the information as integers and convert it. Alternatively, you can serialize information, provide links to XML files, etc.