Addon Domain Problems

mlex

I'm trying to set a new(but first) addon domain, but seems like something isn't right.

Say my main/root/heliohost domain is mydomain.com

Now mydomain.com is using cloudflare's dns servers like so:

NAME01.NS.CLOUDFLARE.COM

and

NAME02.NS.CLOUDFLARE.COM

I want to set up my new addon domain, say newdomain.com

So as far as I got it, I need to confirm somehow(technically) that this indeed my domain, and for that reason I set my nameservers of this new newdomain.com to Heliohost's like so:

NS1.HELIOHOST.ORG

and

NS2.HELIOHOST.ORG

But it doesn't work. What do I mean by that is when I go to

http://byrondallas.heliohost.org/php/tools/dns_records.php

and check newdomain.com for ns records, it some times gives me a target as heliohost servers and some times it's just blank.

And obviously the newdomain.com isn't reachable - Server not found message is the output

As I was thinking about it, perhaps it's because my root domain(mydomain.com) is set for cloudflare's dns?

Should I change the mydomain.com DNS for heliohost till it will recognize it and then change both domains for cloudflare or what should I do in this case, please?

Edited by mlex

Alrighty, found Krydos answer to something similar:

• Set your domain's nameservers to ns1.heliohost.org and ns2.heliohost.org
  • Park, or addon your domain through cPanel.
  • Wait 24 hours and make sure your domain is working as expected.
  • Cloudflare will copy all the existing, proven to work settings and instruct you to change your nameservers to something like olga.cloudflare.com and cleetus.cloudflare.com.
  • Wait 15 minutes to 48 hours for your DNS changes to go through, and cloudflare will alert you when everything is good to go.

Gonna try it out

We have CloudFlare in cPanel now too, so you don't even need to log into CloudFlare separately if you don't want to.

If you use the cPanel plugin for CloudFlare, the "Full zone setup" option is functionally the same as doing it manually through CloudFlare.

It's not really user friendly to use CF inside cPanel - kinda small-sized.

But the main reason I'm not using it is because of limited functionality - in CF admin panel there's much more you can do.

However, I'm yet not sure if I'm doin' this(adding addon domain) right.

I paused CF. Changed my nameservers of main domain and new addon domain to Heliohost's.

Meanwhile waiting for nameservers to update for my main domain.

It's not really user friendly to use CF inside cPanel - kinda small-sized.

But the main reason I'm not using it is because of limited functionality - in CF admin panel there's much more you can do.

Yeah, I prefer the CF website too.

Just figured I'd mention it since some users like it for the "CNAME Setup" it offers (which lets you have CloudFlare without messing with changing nameservers). The CNAME Setup option is completely incompatible with the CF website though, and in fact actually bars you from using the CF website if you pick it (it just says you must manage through cPanel).

• Like 1

I'm using CF's free account. I guess CNAME is available only for paid ones.

So I can't use addon domain with CF and Heliohost?

I'm with one main domain with CF nameservers and trying to add another one(as addon domain). I did the setup through cPanel for adding a new addon domain and it's working as a folder inside of my main domain(mydomain.com/new-addon-domain.com), but I'm not sure how to setup it so it would work with CF as separated domain.

I'm using CF's free account. I guess CNAME is available only for paid ones.

So I can't use addon domain with CF and Heliohost?

I'm with one main domain with CF nameservers and trying to add another one(as addon domain). I did the setup through cPanel for adding a new addon domain and it's working as a folder inside of my main domain(mydomain.com/new-addon-domain.com), but I'm not sure how to setup it so it would work with CF as separated domain.

CNAME setup should work on free CF accounts just fine. It must be done through cPanel though since it uses our nameservers instead of theirs. You won't even see mention of it on their website. I don't know much about it though since I use full zones myself (much more powerful and flexible if you don't mind the nameserver dance to add domains).

To set up both domains on CF, you just treat them as if they weren't related. CF doesn't know they're on the same account or how they're added, and couldn't care less if it did. It just needs to know they're both hosted here.

Set the addon domain to our servers and add it so it works (you've done this). Now go back to CF's website, and set up CF just like you did for the main domain. Create a zone for it, copy the DNS settings, then change the addon domain's name servers.

• Like 1

Thanks alot Wolstech!

Did everything and it seems like now it is working and I see CF nameservers of both domains.

BUT, when I ping both of my domains, I'm getting the ip(65.19.143.6) of Heliohost instead of CF... Perhaps there's a need to wait some time(but for what, if nameservers changed)?

Edited by mlex

Hi i have it the same problem few days ago.. and i resolved. like mlex say that is a problem with cloudflare because when you try to create and addon first, the domain that you try to add doesn't n have to be redirected to cloudflare if not you create a problem. if you redirect first to cloudflare and you create you addon is never going to redirect to your path domain file. when i try it i did the thing because i send first to cloudflare and after i created and addon and never get on.. i deleted i and i try to set it again but this cut make it this say that the addon that i try to set is set in apache confi ... and i look for it and i cut find the apache conf so i try to make other addon domain with other name domain and i set first the domain to ns1.heliohost.org and ns2.heliohost.org after i add the addon domain and works well.. after that i change my domain to cloudflare dns and works fine. but the problem is that if i want to use the domain that i haven problems how do can i fix it?... I haven to deleted my account and make it again... because i didn't find a way to restart all in my account just deleting my account and make it again.. this was hard because i haven't to do it again but i change johnny for tommy and this was the best that i cut do it... after that i created more addon domains and they work find. In a few words do not create the addon domain before redirect the domain to heliohost server ns1.heliohost.org and ns2.heliohost.org.

Alrighty, found Krydos answer to something similar:

• Set your domain's nameservers to ns1.heliohost.org and ns2.heliohost.org
  • Park, or addon your domain through cPanel.
  • Wait 24 hours and make sure your domain is working as expected.
  • Cloudflare will copy all the existing, proven to work settings and instruct you to change your nameservers to something like olga.cloudflare.com and cleetus.cloudflare.com.
  • Wait 15 minutes to 48 hours for your DNS changes to go through, and cloudflare will alert you when everything is good to go.

Gonna try it out

Hi mates! Im trying to do this way - so i changed back ns to helios ns servers and now it says

Server: g.gtld-servers.net

Address: 2001:503:eea3::30#53

Non-authoritative answer:

*** Can't find cryptocatbot.com.: No answer

Authoritative answers can be found from:

cryptocatbot.com nameserver = ns1.heliohost.org.

cryptocatbot.com nameserver = ns2.heliohost.org.

but there is no A

Server: ns1.heliohost.org

Address: 65.19.143.3#53

** server can't find cryptocatbot.com: REFUSED

could you please be so kind to help me to move firstly no helios and then i will change to CF

Kind regards