[Solved] Can't Update To Jm 3.8

fuzmic

Hi gurus

At backend of Joomla, i tried up from jm3.7.5 using both methods (direct or upload the Jm update zip file) but failed

In both case it says can't OPEN Joomla_3.8.0-Stable-Update_Package.zip in public_html/tmp folder. I tried placing the file there too with rights 0755 but result still can't read.

Where did i go wrong?

Hello Krydos, as suggested, i can extract the zip into the tmp; so it is not a question of rights, i guese.

At Joomla backup i tried to update Jm directly from the folder ie contents of the extracted files in home/fuzmic/public_html/tmp but it says

Path does not have a valid package.
Unable to find install package

I think the way to use the extracted files in Jm update is by overriding the existing files using the extract. I have tried this many times in the older version but this time it don't work. I have to update from url

What is your advice? I don't face this response in my other 3 website. i can also update the same website at the localhost.

Edited by fuzmic

My advice is to use Joomla install through softaculous. We even send you an email reminder when updates are available so you won't get caught with a vulnerable to hacks version. Then you can log in and update Joomla with just a click. You don't have to download anything or extract anything. https://tommy.heliohost.org:2083/frontend/paper_lantern/softaculous/index.live.php

Thank you friend for leading me into another new thing, softaculous that i never know before. Using your link i have registered with them and can get to my cpanel with them. I also always allow it to access my site with you .. but ..i can't seem to go further inspite of google to read up. so here am i at your door.

In heliohost cpanel, at joomla backend or softaculous cpanel i don't see the appearance of anything to tell me that i have a new version of Joomla to update, please give me a light. Cheers.

Using your link i have registered with them and can get to my cpanel with them.

I have no idea what you're talking about. You don't need to register with them. We pay softaculous to put a button in your cpanel so you can install software easily. It's not complicated.

I did what you just wrote. Because of fear of disturbing the the public_html i install joomla 3.7.5 (that is the current version available in softaculous), i install it in a folder jooma30 within public_html.

Then when i log in the backend of this new instance of joomla, it offers to upgrade to new version 3.8; i did the upgrade, it went smoothly as you recommended rightly.

Still i still got it wrong. I can't see the whole picture so is still in a deadend.

Pardon my dumbness. I don't see the button you mentioned in my cpanel.

On reviewing what happened behind the screen, i should have install into public_html itself and allow take up the mysql data in the my configuration.php. Right?

I would install the new joomla separately and then transfer all of your content over to it before you overwrite or delete your existing joomla install. Then once everything is good switch them out and start using the softaculous managed joomla. Always make backups before you do anything that could mess something up.

Ok friend still need some final help

Since i have install the updated new 3.8 in public_html\joomla30, following is what i would think i should do

1 I rename public_html as as p_h_old (can i do it at cpanel?)

2 then move joomla30 to the root and rename it as public_hmtl (can i do it?)

3 the new public_hmtl/configuration.php is from the p_h_old

Is the above ok, please?

I think won't work as all my extension installed in old p_h_old will not be in the new public_html

Yeah, that might work. You might need to change some settings in the joomla configuration file though. Also public_html needs to be 750 permissions owned by you and group of nobody. I can set the permissions and ownership if it doesn't work.

Friend i still think it will not work because of the extensions. Please advice.

One more way i think it may work is just to move from all the new joomla to override the old one with renaming or moving. Softaculous manage the old folder???

Too many to try. My main concern now is how does Soft.. know my change of folder?

I would think that a easier way is do the update in my localhost and then upload. By this method, again does Soft.. still manage the old folder?

I tried update at the old joomla backup, the status is the same at the beginning of this thread.

Or another way, how can i get Soft... to manage my old public_html

To get Soft.. to manage the old p-h, i tried editing details of installation details in Soft.. but was rejected.

You asked for advice, and I made a suggestion. The point of softaculous is to make installing and upgrading software easier for people who don't want to or can't figure out how to do it manually. Plus the notifications of new versions is a great way to keep your site from getting hacked.