E3

GameClaw_268

Okay, (hopefully) we've all heard of E3, and its significance to the gaming comunity. Most of us, well, probably all of us, are unable to attend. So I have come up with a way for us to find out stuff about E3. I am getting emails from Nintendo about whats in it, but just nintendo stuff. I will post that here. The rest of you can go find stuff about sony and microsoft, or whatever else is ther, then we post it here, and get as much info as possible. I don't want any "Thats so cool" or "Awesome!" posts, make it useful.

I am also posting this same message at the Game Maker Showcase forums, I'll have a link on both(will edit) so we can share info.

edit: Link: http://gmshow.gm-school.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4625

Edited by Gamemaster_268

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taken From IGN, Indirectly:

May 17, 2005 - New details regarding Nintendo's next-generation console, codenamed Revolution, have started to sprinkle onto the Internet. The machine, which will be revealed during Nintendo's pre-E3 2005 show on Tuesday morning in Los Angeles, will sport a slick, black design and a front blue light. Revolution will be "two-to-three times more powerful than GameCube," according to Nintendo, which also acknowledges that the next-generation race isn't solely about new technologies. By contrast, Microsoft's Xbox 360 console is 13-15 times more powerful than the first, according to the publisher. And Sony says it's PlayStation 3 is roughly 35 times more powerful than PlayStation 2.

Nintendo also revealed that using Revolution's new Wi-Fi connection, gamers would be able to go online to a free gamer-matching service. Interestingly, in a move similar to Microsoft's Xbox Live Arcade service, Revolution users will be able to download classic and new Nintendo games over the Internet. Nintendo cited such examples as Donkey Kong and Super Mario Sunshine, which suggests that Revolutionaries could have access to games for all the publisher's previous consoles.

and pic, Yay!

Must say, nice design. But it wont have a tri-core 3.2ghz (9.6 altogether), now will it? :P XBOX 360 roxxors.

xbox 360 will also have 512mb RAM, etc. sony says ps3 is better than the xbox... i'd like to see them better 9.6ghz :D

http://news.com.com/PlayStation+3+chip+has...340.html?tag=nl

The core processor will run at 3.2GHz, rather than the previously reported 4GHz, but there will still be nine cores.

http://news.com.com/Sony+spills+PlayStatio...465.html?tag=nl

With a radical new design that includes nine separate processors, with one controlling "brain" that will divvy up tasks among its eight peers, the Cell has been touted by developers as a middle ground between the traditionally separate graphics processors and central processors, with advantages over both.

Stats: http://news.com.com/PlayStation+3+stats+sp...571.html?tag=nl

http://www.e3insider.com/floored.aspx?arti...orID=QRI9NHV5MZ

PS3's processor will be 1/3 Xbox 360's power, but it uses blu-ray, which is pretty cool, compared to xbox 360's DVD. this might enable longer games, etc., and xbox 360 might need to use dual-side, and sacrifice disc images, or even use more than one DVD for a video game. on the positive side, xbox 360's games will almost surely cost less.

on the flopper thing, xbox 360 will have only .1152 teraflops, although i have no clue what a flop is. also, both sides look like they have a good graphics card, but ps3 has revealed more. I'm not sure about the dual-card nVidia, but I know its gonna be developed by nVidia.

Its a hard comparison. both look pretty good right now, and each has its upsides and downsides.

EDIT

ah man, a flop is "Floating point operations per second. A measure of how fast a computer is based on calculations per second." Looks like ps3 will be about 20 times faster than the xbox 360. This is really weird, cuz the xbox 360's processor is 3x the ps3 and... oops, forgot to read the other stuff you guys posted, just did. CRAP, 9 cores? Yah, ps3 looks like its gonna be that neo-gen thing...

EDIT

ahh crap, ps3 looks like its gonna beat the xbox 360 in power.

"Last time around, the original Xbox came out later than the PS2 and, thus, wielded a significant hardware edge. But with the next generation of gaming consoles, Sony appears to be on equal footing and may even have the technological advantage. Microsoft has already announced its strategy for undercutting the PlayStation 3 at launch: Halo 3, the latest sequel in their staggeringly popular franchise, will arrive in stores the same day as Sony's console. But based on its console's impressive specs and Sony's strong tradition of support from developers, we see no reason to doubt that the company's new console will affirm its place at number one when the PS3 launches in spring 2006 with its own set of mind-blowing titles. Plus, whatever the differences between PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360, real gaming enthusiasts will, of course, simply have to own both. "

Until later, the power wont be used, so even the Revolution, which isn't gonna be nearly as powerful as either(but alot cheaper) will be able to keep up. It's gonna be late in the life of the consoles when they realize the power. Oh, and Revolution will also have a more than DVD space disk thing, I can't remeber where I heard it though... from what I see now, either PS3 is gonna be a neo-geo and not sell, or its gonna wipe out the X-box 360 in all features. Either way, its gonna lead to a decline in one or the other, and Nintendo, although not as powerful, is much more popular with kids and alot cheaper, so they will never loose. Either the PS3 or the X-Box 360 is gonna be a complete blunder, sending it back to a 2-console war. Nintendo is the only one with assured survival. This ought to get good B)

Yah, it'll use a DVD (found out from CNET for me).

Nintendo has a good market base, but neither Xbox nor PS2 have one. PS2 never had one, and I thought XBOX had one until they gave it away by making their console inferior. XBOX and PS2 have a joint market base - the older gamers, who want more juice for their platform.

Nintendo is playing it safe by conserving its market base and not trying to go into the unsafe territory that the other two consoles are fighting over. XBOX 360 looks like its gonna be inferior in terms of specs, but whether the gamers care or not is another matter. I think it looks better than the PS3, so that'll go good with the married gamers :D (but I've gotta hand it to you, Revolution looks the best). The XBOX 360 is doing a better job in the home entertainment category, with full pledged Wi-Fi, streaming audio (and video?), a progressive-scan DVD player and an addition to its already superb XBOX Live service. Nintendo gots the Wi-Fi, but its doesn't look likes its going to function nearly as well, and I'm not so sure about the PS3... The games section is hard to determine. XBOX has a firm grip on the hit video game maker Bungie (HALO!!!), so thats a good mark. The PS3 no longer holds down the Grand Theft Auto series, but they have still got the advantage in it (earlier releases, etc.). The XBOX has it similiar with Ubisoft and its hit Tom Clancy series (Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, etc.). Most other big developers are tied between the two.

Nintendo, as always, is staying away from the bloody war, and keeping it safe. Its got hits Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Metroid, and a kajillion more proprietary titles on its side, and it doesn't look likes it wants to give them away. PS on the other hand only has GTA and Final Fantasy on its side, and XBOX has got its juggernaut Halo by its side, as well as Ubisoft.

To review...

CONSUMER BASE

XBOX - insignificant if any

Playstation - insignificant if any

Nintendo - the retro gamers

SPECS AND POWER

XBOX - pretty good

Playstation - unbelievably good

Nintendo - acceptable...

HOME ENTERTAINMENT

XBOX - good

Playstation - not so much...

Nintendo - getting there

GAMES

XBOX - strong

Playstation - strong

Nintendo - ole' Nintendo faves

w00t roxxors, I just made a report on video game consoles!

HOME ENTERTAINMENT

XBOX - good

Playstation - not so much...

Nintendo - getting there

That part was pretty biased. The innovation in nintendo games makes them pretty fun for alot of people, but others just want a whole bunch of FPS's and such. I find Nintendo to be the most intertaining, but I wouldn't mind having an x-box or playstation around. Although the original X-Box did have live, which nothing else did, and halo, I'd say they're all pretty close, but I'm inclined to be a little biased, I love nintendo, and I want Halo and Mechwarrior games, Leaving the PS out for me. I realize that all the systems have alot of potential, however. The old sterotype that nintendo just uses old games is pretty untrue. For Mario you could say the same for GTA, Halo, Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, and Crash Bandicoot. Nintendo comes out with alot of new games each year, most of them are just clouded by the Media and Mario Fanboys. As for the X-box, it seems all FPS(not that thats a bad thing ;) ) and the PS seems to have Square Enix and then everything else is on another console. When it all boils down to it, it seems that all the consoles are equal, but appeal to gamers with different personalities. Some people want to see what they can do different, like me; others like games with big guns and lots of explosions, mostly FPS's(me again); And then there are the people who are either fanboys of something(Fact: God Hates Fanboys(www.ctrlaltdel-online.com) or those who are other, or a mix of them. I would, preferably, like to see a mix of nintendo and mircosoft(yeah right) make a console together, nintendo innovation meets mircosoft power, FPS, and connections ;) But hell will freeze over and warm up a trillion times before that happens. I might try a PS3 too, I kinda want them all, Ratchet and Clank looks pretty cool.