Wiki Development Update [21St Oct]

Bailey

I assume you mean "need to be embedded"...some of those can't be embedded/stored as part of the wiki since they're actually PHP scripts that output image data (server load images).

Is there a reason we can't just link to an external image like we can now?

I meant directly embed*, I sentenced that wrong.

I believe that direct/(RAW) images is disabled for security reasons.

https://m.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgAllowExternalImages#Why_disallow_external_images.3F

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't break things if you use it properly... and no, it's not being moved to /wiki/$1 because Krydos requests it how it is. Read up a few posts to see what he said about it.

It may not work when we go back, as there imbedded it should work fine. I'll have a look anyway, and it is a priority as we can't move it back wishing that it will be fixed!

I know that I requested /$1 but directly modifying .htaccess is always a bad idea, I know this for a fact. And I still believe you can change the title path in the MW settings. If that's impossible we can move /$1 to /wiki/$1 to maintain backwards compatibility.

I can't explain this better than that.

Also to clarify Krydos said we need /$1 to avoid search engine/links breaking, my solution clears all of that, if you can't modify the title in settings.

About the external images: yeah, it will be to be embedded.

As I said, I'm not changing the URL but can you explain why the .htaccess breaks things because I've learnt it and its never broken anything for me!

Is there a reason we can't just link to an external image like we can now?

I think it's missing HTML tag plugin but I can't add that yet as I'm out...

toomanyplugins.club

It is a option disabled by mediawiki by default

I believe that direct/(RAW) images is disabled for security reasons.

https://m.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgAllowExternalImages#Why_disallow_external_images.3F

The URLS are just inline links to the images, so this is probably the cause. We came from an ancient version where it was enabled by default. It might be easiest to just turn this setting back on...it hasn't been an issue for the past 5 years since we restrict editing to approved users anyway.

While I'm on my way back, is it possible to sort out who will keep the wiki up-to-date over at https://wiki.helionet.org or will one of the admins do it? I'm happy too, but I will need access to it as once the development is finished, I don't want it on my account as it takes up 673.52 MB (67.3%) of my account that I won't be able to ever use :o

Is it possible to sort out who will keep the wiki up-to-date over at https://wiki.helionet.org or will one of the admins do it?

Yeah, I'd like to add my name to that list (if the admins don't want to maintain the wiki.) as a wiki maintainer.

I assume we'll be given access to separate SFTP accounts as wiki maintainer(s?).

Also, if we are going to do this, how are our activities to be audited, and where do we post changes/maintainence task updates(a.k.a downtime announcements.)

@miwilc, I think we would have a separate form forum category to do with the wiki with "Wiki Announcements" (Admins only, including us), "Wiki other" (where users post) and "Request Wiki Access" within it, this might be the best solution for this.

Lets see what @Krydos says!

Edited by Bailey

@miwilc, I think we would have a separate form forum category to do with the wiki with "Wiki Announcements" (Admins only, including us), "Wiki other" (where users post) and "Request Wiki Access" within it, this might be the best solution for this.

Lets see what @Krydos says!

If you guys want your own hidden board for wiki dev stuff, I can do that for you so we don't need to cram all of this in one topic, especially considering this will be an ongoing project.

Not sure about the other 2. I'd probably just rename the existing forum to "Wiki Access Requests and Questions" as one board to keep it simple. We've never really had enough content for a separate "Wiki questions/other" forum to be warranted.

You can always let a mod or admin know and we can post it in the News forum for you (who can create new topics in that forum is restricted because it broadcasts on our social media).

You can also put the warning on the front page of the wiki a few days ahead of time.

Edited by wolstech
wiki front page...