HelioMine Beta

Krydos

HelioMine Linux 0.4

The newest version of HelioMine Linux is updated to support the changes that happened recently to turtlecoin. The mining code that we were using, stak, does not support turtle at all anymore so we have switched to ninjarig which is a fork from xmrig. Completely different mining software means I had to rewrite about 90% of the program. Anyone still running HelioMine Linux 0.3 will get an error about not knowing what to do with the assignment if they try to run it. You must update to 0.4 in order for the miner to do anything.

To uninstall the old version just delete heliomine.sh, heliomine.conf, and any subdirectories:

rm -rf heliomine.sh heliomine.conf xmr-stak aeon-stak-cpu xmr-stak-cpu trtl-stak ninjarig
To install the new version:

wget https://krydos.heliohost.org/heliomine.sh && chmod 755 heliomine.sh
To run it:

./heliomine.sh
When you want to stop the miner press ctrl-c once.

Since this is a pretty major update I need some people to test it out before we make a news post about it or anything like that. Let me know if anything is acting weird.

• Like 1

Upon using HelioMine on Windows, it is causing a few issues. HelioMine weirdly has its own mind and sometimes likes to start mining by itself when I am actively on the PC. In addition, every time it runs, the PC starts making a loud noise which prompts me to close it. The issue is when I stop mining, ninjarig still runs. Despite killing the task manually, it decides to run again after a few minutes and thus the PC starts making the loud noise again. Every time ninjarig runs, it causes a high CPU (see attached screenshot). I have uninstalled HelioMine for now due to its unpredictable nature.

ninjarig-screenshot.png

The loud noise (the fans) and cpu being pegged are how miners work and are completely normal. It's also normal for your video to lag if you have a good video card that's mining capable. My PC is near silent when idle, but with a miner running it sounds like a jet engine that can be heard nearly everywhere in the house. My rather high end PC puts out enough heat that I can (and do) run the miner to use the PC as a space heater in the winters.

You can reduce the CPU usage to a single CPU core in the settings by selecting "Polite resource usage" if you want it to use less cpu for some reason.

As for why it's starting on its own while you're on the PC...is it late night (12-6AM) according to your PC's clock? If so, it will mine regardless of activity. Outside that window, it should only mine when you're not present. You can turn off one or both mining triggers in the settings if you wish. Also, if you're using a laptop, it won't mine when on battery.

As for killing ninjarig, it will restart on its own by design. Miners sometimes crash, so it watches for the process to die and restarts it. Killing the process will trigger this behavior.

@vanisk: That is working as designed. The CPU is supposed to be pegged while it’s running. It normally runs when you’re away from the pc so you won’t notice the impact. Manually starting it makes that impact obvious as shown in your screenshots. If you want to use the pc while it’s mining, selecting “polite resource use” will reduce it one cpu core.

As long as the console is showing new jobs and occasional reports of accepted work, you’re good.