HelioNet not loading

ShannenName

I don't really trust any of you. None of you have any experience with Linux server admin. People go to college to learn how to handle these things - I highly doubt any of you would know what to do if the server crashed.

Yes, people do. But some of us could learn easily.For a while, I had linux on my laptop, and got to being able to understanding how to use bash fairly quickly. I could learn how to read system dumps pretty quickly too, but I haven't had any reason to. And if I did learn, I'd be glad to help out. And I wouldn't want a cent. I enjoy this kind of stuff -- I'd be glad to and want to do it for free, at least until I can get a job doing it. Anyway, I definately would not be your first choice in helping out. No chance. And about the coding: I've learned C++. I've made programs. I'd probably have a game almost finished right now if my computer didn't mess up. PHP would be easy to learn, and it would even help me learn if I helped out with something like this.

djbob,

The members of this forum that have posted on this thread may or may not have had mediocre Linux experience from whatever mediocre Linux distribution they may or may not run. It's true, people go to college to learn how to set up and maintain server stacks of all sorts of operating platforms, learning how to manage and store data both properly and effectively. However, it takes no longer than five minutes to explain how to restart apache, mysql, etc., especially if you've done your duties as an admin both correctly and effectively, djbob. On top of that, what's another ten to twenty minutes on how to move through WHM and pointing a person to a manual? Any computer-savvy user can pick up CentOS's (or RHEL's, they only differ by the branding) manual and skim through to find how to do even the trivial of things, such as running yum to search for packages as well, if you'd like to take it that far.

djbob, the point I am trying to get across is simple. If you're going to bring up trust issues, don't pick the half-assed excuse. You chose the "I am the omniscient ruler of HelioHost/Net. Only I am able to teach myself such things. The rest of you must get a college education before reaching my level! Go, now! There is nothing you can do 'till then but to grovel at my feet." At least go with something sane like, "I don't know any of you; you could perform malicious actions on mah serverz! OMGZZZS DOOD." (that won't even make you look like an egomaniac).

Demize,

Knowing bash commands is not a unique trait and nothing to gloat about... or even mention... at all. Any half-decent *nix operator knows the standard crap.

I would have to agree with that. Although I can understand how he feels about it. Surely he wants to have someone reliable while being online. It would be easy if he gave all the information to other people. Granted he could create a user level that limit what helpers would do on the site side. So a compromise would be making a php portion for staff (such as stafffunctions.php) only and limiting what they do along with that but creating logs of what happen. It'd be a nice compromise since it would free him up more and wouldn't require him to hand out too revealing of information.

djbob,

The members of this forum that have posted on this thread may or may not have had mediocre Linux experience from whatever mediocre Linux distribution they may or may not run. It's true, people go to college to learn how to set up and maintain server stacks of all sorts of operating platforms, learning how to manage and store data both properly and effectively. However, it takes no longer than five minutes to explain how to restart apache, mysql, etc., especially if you've done your duties as an admin both correctly and effectively, djbob. On top of that, what's another ten to twenty minutes on how to move through WHM and pointing a person to a manual? Any computer-savvy user can pick up CentOS's (or RHEL's, they only differ by the branding) manual and skim through to find how to do even the trivial of things, such as running yum to search for packages as well, if you'd like to take it that far.

djbob, the point I am trying to get across is simple. If you're going to bring up trust issues, don't pick the half-assed excuse. You chose the "I am the omniscient ruler of HelioHost/Net. Only I am able to teach myself such things. The rest of you must get a college education before reaching my level! Go, now! There is nothing you can do 'till then but to grovel at my feet." At least go with something sane like, "I don't know any of you; you could perform malicious actions on mah serverz! OMGZZZS DOOD." (that won't even make you look like an egomaniac).

Demize,

Knowing bash commands is not a unique trait and nothing to gloat about... or even mention... at all. Any half-decent *nix operator knows the standard crap.

Kyougi,

Your point seems to be that I am acting too condescendingly. Mayhaps you are right. However, this stuff isn't as easy as it looks. Seriously. And as for you guys being able to learn it... maybe, I don't know any of you too well, maybe you're up for the job. But frankly, I doubt anybody is willing to put in the time I've put into this to learn what I've learned, unless they're getting a degree in the subject.

Any computer-savvy user can pick up CentOS's (or RHEL's, they only differ by the branding) manual and skim through to find how to do even the trivial of things, such as running yum to search for packages as well, if you'd like to take it that far.
:lol:

It's not that easy. There is absolutely no free text source that can explain Linux server admin to you. To setup the HelioHost server exactly as I have, I've had to email people, post to newsgroups, post to forums, etc., not to mention random guess-and-check solutions. And I always check Google and Wikipedia before I ask a question... I'm not going around asking dumb questions. Don't make assumptions about things you don't understand.

And, for the record, much more of the stuff has to do with knowing how to admin Apache than knowing how to admin Linux.

Now that I'm done ranting about how hard my job is...

If you want me to give them some sort of partial access... that would take too long to program into the system. If you want me to have them just do specific server commands, then I don't trust them enough to give root server access. Is that good for you?

PS: If you're some new member who is thinking about attempting to kiss-up to me, please: don't bother. It's spam.

I would have to agree with that. Although I can understand how he feels about it. Surely he wants to have someone reliable while being online. It would be easy if he gave all the information to other people. Granted he could create a user level that limit what helpers would do on the site side. So a compromise would be making a php portion for staff (such as stafffunctions.php) only and limiting what they do along with that but creating logs of what happen. It'd be a nice compromise since it would free him up more and wouldn't require him to hand out too revealing of information.
Yah, except I'd have to program that. I don't have the time.

Your point seems to be that I am acting too condescendingly.

Very much so.

It's not that easy. There is absolutely no free text source that can explain Linux server admin to you. To setup the HelioHost server exactly as I have, I've had to email people, post to newsgroups, post to forums, etc., not to mention random guess-and-check solutions. And I always check Google and Wikipedia before I ask a question... I'm not going around asking dumb questions. Don't make assumptions about things you don't understand.

Ah, but my friend, I do understand. It's not for you to say if anyone else does or does not have the skills and/or knowledge, once again.

Ah, but my friend, I do understand.
Really? I kind of doubt that, but maybe you're right. Where did you learn all this stuff, then?

It's not for you to say if anyone else does or does not have the skills and/or knowledge, once again.
Yes it is. As someone who has the "skills and/or knowledge", I can judge others on those standards.

=_= battle of the admins much?

If I may step in, the facts still stand:

1. djbob is losing money.

2. djbob doesn't want help.

3. djbob owns the server.

So as far as I can see it, djbob can be as insulting(whether intentional or not) as he wants, as long as fact #3 still stand.

Frankly, I don't care as long as I still have a website. ;)

Really? I kind of doubt that, but maybe you're right. Where did you learn all this stuff, then?

Too much time on my hands. I experiment and tweak nonstop, and for a brief time, that was with Apache and co. on Slackware 10.

Yes it is. As someone who has the "skills and/or knowledge", I can judge others on those standards.

Sure, except you have nothing to base your judgments on other than the one person that said he doesn't know how to do anything. Wizard might not care, but I cannot tolerate your condescending tone. djbob, you're generally a nice guy, which is why I'm venting about this.

Too much time on my hands. I experiment and tweak nonstop, and for a brief time, that was with Apache and co. on Slackware 10.

That gives you some knowledge, but knowing how to handle a server crash is different. Tell me what you what do if HelioHost went down.

Sure, except you have nothing to base your judgments on other than the one person that said he doesn't know how to do anything. Wizard might not care, but I cannot tolerate your condescending tone. djbob, you're generally a nice guy, which is why I'm venting about this.

Are you sure you're not overreacting? All I said was that I highly doubt any of you have the expertise. The thing is, almost every skilled server admin has their own server, so they don't need server space - especially on a free server. That said, I could be surprised - maybe some of you are experts. But I'm not willing to risk giving out server access so people who claim expertise that I can't confirm.

I have my own server on my computer, I just am unable to host it due to my limited access of an IP. I use it for testing, and trying out new features for my sites. It might be a good start for you to try something like that.

When I go off to college I hope to get an IP and have my own server.