Where are you from?

xoerski_16

Which continent are you from?  

311 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It just doesn't seem like this question would bring about much in the way of Philosophical Discussions and Debates or Politics. Perhaps we can debate whether or not the question really belongs here. One might argue that it has nothing to do with debating or philosophy. We could justify its presence here by saying that at a subconscious level the original poster wanted to bring the questions' merit up for debate. Then again, where I am from is really not much of a debate topic unless we put different parameters around the question. At a specific point in time I may be at a different x, y, z coordinate therefore that information could change from one moment to the next. We would have to better clarify the question by perhaps saying, "Where are you from most of the time?" In reality the question itself would be a mute point if everyone filled out their profiles with a location. With that information freely available it would not be necessary to ask. Fitting the category that you post in should not be that difficult, but what is the most appropriate forum to ask this question in? Community seems to come to the top of my list, but maybe we should ask HelioNet to establish a new category for Silly Questions. Although Just for Fun and The Unregulated Forum seem to bode well for silly questions.

We also need to take a look at the Philosophical side of this question. Logic dictates that we should answer the question rather than changing the topic. Then again there are ethical implications that this question poses. Is it morally correct to ask someone where they are from even if you really don't care? What purpose does this question serve other than to get a few helions? Does it really increase the level of knowledge of those around us by asking it? Will answering this question take me to a higher plane of existence and closer to enlightenment?

I'm from Ohio, USA and just earned a few helions!

Asia - Malaysia

I guess I'm the only species from Malaysia..

the only dinosaur species...

anyway, I'm a Chinese, hope can get some relationships here.. xD

• 1 month later...

I live in France, but I was born and raised in the Netherlands. That's the country some people refer to as "Holland". That name is erroneous, because Holland is just a province, in the western part of the country. In fact the Netherlands are composed of 12 provinces; Groningen, Friesland, Drenthe, Overijssel, Flevoland, Gelderland, Utrecht, Noord-Holland, Zuid-Holland, Zeeland, Noord-Brabant and Limburg. I'm from the province of Drenthe (in the North) and the people of that province don't like to be referred to as "Hollanders". English speakers refer to the people of the Netherlands as "Dutch". But that name is also erroneous. I guess the name "Dutchman" comes from some kind of confusion. It could very well be that in the old days the English mixed up people from the Netherlands and Germans (who call themselves "Deutsch") because the languages from both countries are somewhat similar. So, what would be a correct name for a citizen from the Netherlands? How about a "Netherlander"? Or is that too hard to pronounce?

Regards,

zippo

Well, zippo had make my eyes opened 0.0

Now I knew Netherland and Holland was totally different. I always link these 2 together with a mathematical equation

Netherland = Holland.

And I always asked my dad, "why the soccer game always write Netherland but never Holland??"

Now I know why... haha

I hail from Manchster<New Hampshire<USA

lived here most of my life cant wait to get out

again lol ;)

Lived in Winter Park<Florida<USA for 2 years

prior while i was in school.

And Ive traveled all over the place:

In the states:

every state on the east coast

texas

ohio

colorado

arazona

california

Out of the country:

spain

the switz

germany

Places I want to visit:

japan

china

new zealand

philippines

• 2 weeks later...

I was born in the United States in Santa Clara, CA

Currently I live in Washington and consider myself more Washingtonian than Californian given that I've only lived in CA for 6 years as opposed to the 14 in WA.

Ethnically...I would say that I'm 7/8ths Korean 1/8th Japanese 1st generation born in the US

Culturally: I have mostly European viewpoints due to the fact that my mother was born in Korea, lived in Germany for nearly 20 years and lived in England for 12 years. (She traversed throughout Europe as well.) There are some dashes of Korean/Japanese and American culture views tossed in the mix as well.

Visited:

Utah

Oregon

California

Nevada

Korea

Lived:

Japan *For a month*

Wish to Visit:

Mexico

Peru

Puerto Rico