53 replies to this topic

#1 Ch33se H4ck3r

Ch33se H4ck3r

Rank I Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 06:08 AM

I was just wondering what everyone thinks the 'meaning of life' is. My thought is that life is what you what it to be. The meaning of life could be death. It could be to make the Earth a better place. In my opinion, it is all of these things, because, as I said, it is what you believe.

Just wondering what everyone elses thoughts are

#2 Wizard

Wizard

Rank X Member

• Moderators
  • 2,922 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping.

Posted 03 February 2008 - 07:33 PM

You live because being dead is so [bleeped!] boring.

Pacman emerges victorious!

#3 ninjagaiden

ninjagaiden

Rank I Member

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:51 PM

well their is no answer to the meanin of life my dad says it is 42. i dont know why
Banned for Spam

#4 Wolfget

Wolfget

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 01:58 PM

the meaning of life is to enjoy it.

#5 Frankie

Frankie

Rank III Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 06:45 AM

There is no meaning. You just happen to be here by chance.

#6 meriadoc

meriadoc

Rank III Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:Backpacking Camping Scouting Hiking Fishing Skiing Movies Books Computers Tinnerman Philmont

Posted 07 April 2008 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE(ninjagaiden @ Mar 21 2008, 02:51 PM) View Post
well their is no answer to the meanin of life my dad says it is 42. i dont know why

No, that's not quite right. That is the answer to, "What is the Meaning of Life, the Universe and Everything?" Surely it must be some derivative of 42 that we haven't quite figured out yet.

On the other hand we could just watch the movie, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, or look it up on the Internet (Wikipedia to the rescue). cool.gif There are some interesting viewpoints out there and I'm sure just about everyone can find one that they like. It certainly is a tough question though and difficult to pick just one answer that encompasses everything you believe or feel about life.

#7 JcX

JcX

Rank VI Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Interests:Astrology, Cosmology, Multimedia designs, Programming, Sciences, Physics

Posted 08 April 2008 - 02:28 PM

Hey meriadoc..
I found out that you really obsessed with Phillosophy..
every posts that I've found with you, all related to phillosophy and big big theories...
sounds like you're someone well-knowledged..
SALUTE!
Personal Web -> Imma
- Appreciate those who sacrifices, not those who sacrificed.
- It's pity if life goes too easy on you, because you won't learn a thing!

#8 meriadoc

meriadoc

Rank III Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:Backpacking Camping Scouting Hiking Fishing Skiing Movies Books Computers Tinnerman Philmont

Posted 08 April 2008 - 04:42 PM

Thanks for the complement JcX, I think. smile.gif While I don't believe I am obsessed with Philosophy, I do believe in putting some thought behind my posts. A number of postings don't seem to have much in the way of content or look like a simplified answer to save a few minutes. Please don't anyone take that the wrong way, there's nothing wrong with posting in that manner. It shows involvement in the community and the willingness to share your thoughts with those around you. Part of my definition of the meaning of life is expanding on what I already know or improving oneself and the people I come in contact with. We all learn from coming in contact with others (unless of course they are a mass murderer, then there could be problems beyond the scope of this topic). I enjoy reading and learning new things so some of what I write may actually reflect what little I retain.

#9 Ivar T

Ivar T

Rank II Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:13 PM

I am reviving this thread instead of starting an entirely new discussion.

So, like... what is the meaning of life?

Why do we care about the survival of ourselves, our family, our people, and humanity?

Essentially - why don't we just drop down and die?

Personally I've often thought that the answer lies in nature documentaries - where you see animals reproduce and do their best to promote their genes.

#10 Kryptex

Kryptex

Rank I Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 09:30 PM

42! My middle school teacher said that the meaning of life was to learn as much as you can socially.
Press alt-F4 for a secret surprise in all major windows browsers.

#11 Mokothemonkey

Mokothemonkey

Rank IV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Interests:Web design, spreadshirt, forum posting, video games

Posted 28 August 2009 - 03:34 PM

Death isn't boring... just painful for some.
the game.

#12 Ivar T

Ivar T

Rank II Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 04:36 PM

I've felt quite nihilistic lately - my body "float" on instincts and natural emotions, while my actual conciousness seem to care little about its survival.

#13 Vincent C.

Vincent C.

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 06:03 AM

Life has a meaning?! O_O

#14 TriMethylXanthine

TriMethylXanthine

Rank I Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 01:31 PM

The meaning of life maybe is to make this world not so boring.Just imagine the Earth without life. smile.gif
Press Alt+F4 for an easter egg!
I'm such a human...
P.S. I know that you know that I don't know that you know that I know what you know.

#15 fantasyzer

fantasyzer

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 01:10 AM

Wow, amazing this topic on this forum. Amazing as well the very differing thoughts. I guess everyone has his own answer for this question to satisfy himself or just doesn't want to think this complicated. Although, to have a meaningful answer to this question it would be logical to get to the source which started human life. Considering the complexity of life that would be God. (Romans 1:20: For his invisible [qualities] are clearly seen from the world’s creation onward, because they are perceived by the things made, even his eternal power and Godship, so that they are inexcusable;) Luckily for us, he has sent us a letter, and it is interesting how some of you gave an answer which is in harmony with his letter.

To start, Wolfget said the following: "he meaning of life is to enjoy it." God rejoiced in his own works, and he created us to his image. (Psalm 104:31: The glory of Jehovah will prove to be to time indefinite. Jehovah will rejoice in his works.) King Solomon, known for his wisdom, draw the conclusion: “Look! The best thing that I myself have seen, which is pretty, is that one should eat and drink and see good for all his hard work with which he works hard under the sun for the number of the days of his life that the [true] God has given him, for that is his portion. 19 Also every man to whom the [true] God has given riches and material possessions, he has even empowered him to eat from it and to carry off his portion and to rejoice in his hard work. This is the gift of God.” (Ecclesiastes 5:18-19)

The next interesting thought came from Kryptex teacher: “To learn as much as you can socially”. Jesus said: “This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ.” (John 17:3)

Spoken of everlasting life, Ivar T asked: “Why do we care about the survival of ourselves, our family, our people, and humanity?” This is because we are meant to live for ever. This was Gods purpose for Adam en Eve, and this purpose hasn't changed. (Ecclesiastes 3:11: Everything he has made pretty in its time. Even time indefinite he has put in their heart, that mankind may never find out the work that the [true] God has made from the start to the finish.)

If you don't have the prospect of eternal life, it wouldn't hurt finding out how to gain this eternal life, would it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users