Fundraiser for New Server

HelioHost

Value is subject to the market...crypto works more like a stock than money. Its value changes nearly continuously. Until we sell, there is no fixed value for it. If we sold it right now, we'd have $0.58. When the coin price goes up (which it will over time, its down right now for a few reasons), your work will be worth more to us.

If you're curious about the price and price history, you can track the value of the coin here: https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/electroneum/ (You've earned us 6.71 coins).

• Like 2

Besides IIS and MSSQL, do you have any plans to run other Microsoft server software; e.g. Microsoft Exchange Server?  This could be useful for end-users who want groupware functionality but prefer to use Microsoft Outlook or Windows Mail; which can't use CalDAV and CardDAV out-of-the-box.

We actually won't be offering MSSQL (Krydos was unaware it costs extra, and none of us know much about it either...I've built Windows web servers before but they all ran MySQL or Postgres because they were for hosting PHP applications under IIS).

As of now, we honestly don't have any concrete plans as to what will be offered by the Windows box beyond ASP.NET/IIS. My initial goal is to just get IIS  running since it will be a learning curve for all of us. Unlike Apache which we've been running for over 10 years, we've never tried IIS before.

The simplest solution to get up and running quickly will be to pass IIS through a cPanel server by letting Apache proxy it (Java is handled this way now...). That way users have IIS hosting (and thus ASP.NET, among other things), but retain the full suite of other functionality (databases, mail, DNS management, etc.) from cPanel.

As we progress with it, more functionality will be added to the Windows box. 

Here's some things I am looking into: 

• How it'll be administered by the users. IIS has a ton of options that normally require access to the desktop or the Windows RSAT.
  • Databases...if we put a cPanel server in front, MySQL and Postgres are redundant. MSSQL isn't free.
    • Perhaps MariaDB, or a NoSQL solution like MongoDB?
  • Whether we can use Lily as a means to offer Ruby on Rails on a server other than Johnny.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there i just donated 9 $ (thats all i got on my account :/ ) i hope transaction is ok and the money are on right place and i hope that i will be able to donate again. Best with the new server and thank you for all you service. 

@wolstech MariaDB for MySQL all the way. Especially on Windoze.

I don't use NoSQL, but I can see it being helpful. So +1 for MongoDB.

-1 for MSDB, no Software I know uses or recommends that.

And python too maybe?

@miwilc: There's likely going to be a cPanel server in front of/alongside this, so Python will already be available. The IIS implementation is likely going to act similar to how a Java WAR does...Apache will proxy another web server.

I'm looking into the RoR because Johnny's RoR sucks due to his performance (and it's also what's keeping us from updating that server). The DB offering is because the thing has 32GB of RAM in it and it'd be a waste to not use it :)

• Like 1