Server Side Programming

rct

Server Side  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well, what can I say...let's see.

I've had experience in both php and aspx (asp 2.0 in .net).

Here's what I think:

I like both, but I like aspx a tad more, even though it can be a GIANT pain the rear. I think (well, I can) do a lot more with it. However php is much easier to learn and use. I like to php things in notepad. :) This is just about impossible with aspx, unless you are crazy. :P

I'd say asp.net is a lot more convenient if you have to get moderately advanced sites up in a short time

(corporate), because of the powerful tools and a large function library.

Both can do the job, however, don't forget that an asp installation requires a lot more from the server,

as with all large frameworks.

Personally I don't need anything else than PHP.

• 2 months later...

I'll go for PHP

since it's open source, compared to asp.net, there's pros and cons

but PHP is simple learning and yet widely accepted (I guess)

Personal comment, I've went through many forums, most of them prefer PHP,

only companies prefer asp.net, the reason is more reliable

I use php, mainly because I run linux and honestly don't think I could face the prospect of installing and configuring asp.net onto my computer (which is what I use for testing)

I run Linux as well, but know more about asp and asp.NET than php. I just started reading about Mono - http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page. It appears to have quite a few features. If you are ever interested in porting a .NET application or working with asp and asp.NET it might be worth a look see.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I agree with most of the people who've voted on the poll.

PHP is much easier to learn and much quicker to impliment. With .net you have to install the framework. PHP is supported on all platforms and comes pre-installed on some. Also, it's open source and has a great support team.

PHP is indeed easier to use and learn, as well as more widely supported. ASP.NET, however, is generally more powerful and once you get the hang of it it is easier to make websites with it.

I agree. asp.net is newer and more powerful but unless I'm working for a company or I have a server farm I really don't have the need for that kind of power. Installing the framework always makes me cringe.