exams

rct

Nah, they should probably keep the things. They're one of the main things you use to prove to colleges how smart you are to get in free. If we didn't have those, college entrances and whatnot would be based more on grade point and activities in high school. And let's face it, if you're in high school and posting in a lot of forums and making websites, you probably don't have a lot of activities to put down on a college application, so you'd want the SATs to stay.

An interesting note on what some people feel about the SAT and standardized tests...

Recently I came across a flyer for the "Defend Affirmative Action Party," which is some group of college kids. They want to eliminate the SAT/ACT because of its distinct racial bias. This made me chuckle.

(By the way, this is the quote: "Distinct Racial Bias: In 1997, black students from families with incomes between $80,000 and $100,000 did in fact score lower on the SAT than did white students from families with incomes of less than $10,000," which is a random fact with absolutely no bearing to what they were trying to say and actually detracted from their argument. They were very silly.)

• 1 month later...

I personally took the ACTs, and from what I've found, they're gradually becoming the more mainstream test. Most of the unversities I applied to had a huge preference for ACT scores over SAT (thank god I got a 31, haha).

But that isn't to say the SAT's aren't important. A few schools in the western US really prefer the old test, so I guess it depends on where you want to go to college.

I'm going to go ahead and assume the SATs they are talking about are some sort of non-United States test? Am I correct?

SATs are the tests that you have to do in the UK when you are 7, 11 and 14 years old. To get into college you require GCSEs which have nothing to do with SATs marks. They are used to rank schools, in how good they are.