Anti Matter - our future energy source

Nuclear fusion has nothing to do with anti-matter. Currently, nuclear fusion is impossible because we have no way of containing the massive amount of heat generated by the process. We can't contain anti-matter because it destroys any matter it touches. Completely different.
Actually, the soon-to-be-constructed ITER will be capable of a sustained nuclear fusion reaction with a net energy gain.

You guys ought to get your facts straight...

You quoted me from half a year ago. As dated as the statement is, that fact is still straight as it is still currently impossible because the ITER has not been constructed yet.

Do you ride a bike everywhere you go?

If not, how do expect everyone else in the world too?

I think if everyone drove their bikes around, it would be total chaos. ;)

- ArceRC

- Van

China did it for quite some time, no problems there.

You quoted me from half a year ago. As dated as the statement is, that fact is still straight as it is still currently impossible because the ITER has not been constructed yet.
If you want to get into details...

You said nuclear fusion was impossible. It is indeed possible. Examples: the Sun, a hydrogen bomb, the JET experimental reactor. QED :P

If you want to get into details...

You said nuclear fusion was impossible. It is indeed possible. Examples: the Sun, a hydrogen bomb, the JET experimental reactor. QED :P

The difference is that you knew what I implied and twisted my statement while you made no such implication.

Actually, I didn't. Although I twisted what you said in my last post, my first "twist" was completely honest. When you said nuclear fusion was impossible currently, I thought you meant we aren't able to do it, not that we aren't able to do it with a net gain of energy.

I pointed out ITER because it sounded cooler than JET, but JET is proof as well.

So I revise my statement: your facts are fine, but you need to work on presenting them better.

This topic inspired me to find out more about antimatter. I used google to find a CERN site called Antimatter:Mirror of the Universe that may interest a few of you. I have plenty more to read and learn, but did find one statement appropriate for this discussion...

Antimatter is difficult to produce - all the antiprotons produced at CERN during one year would supply enough energy to light a 100 watt electric bulb for three seconds!

So it appears we are a ways off from making it a future energy source.

this is what I quoted from Wiki, about the cost

Antimatter is said to be the most expensive substance in existence, with an estimated cost of $300 billion per milligram. This is because production is difficult (only a few atoms are produced in reactions in particle accelerators), and because there is higher demand for the other uses of particle accelerators. According to CERN, it has cost a few hundred million Swiss Francs to produce about 1 billionth of a gram.[9]

Several NASA Institute for Advanced Concepts-funded studies are exploring whether it might be possible to use magnetic scoops to collect the antimatter that occurs naturally in the Van Allen belts of Earth, and ultimately, the belts of gas giants like Jupiter, hopefully at a lower cost per gram.[10]

Antimatter is so hard to produce because when baryongenesis occurs, it will undergo another chain reaction with the matter that it's opposing to eliminate each other. If you read Wiki, scientist have to use magnetic and electric field to trap the antimatter and store them. This is the latest techonology available but still, the amount that we can produce and keep doesn't prove a satisfactory number.

Hence, we're still far away from using anti matter as future energy source.

Again, we're not far away - it's just not a feasible idea. It is scientifically impossible to gain energy from antimatter we artifically create. As for harvesting it from Jupiter, maybe... but still it is very unlikely to be a feasible energy source.

Though you may get the allusion from wikipedia that we know a lot about anti-matter. This is, however, false. We know very little about anti-matter, and still have many large strides to go before we even begin to partially understand what it is and how it works. We must first understand anti-matter before we can even try to conceive some sort of way to use it in any use.

Us understanding anti-matter is still a long way off, but it as at lease feasibly within our reach with lots of hard work and research.

Well... undeniably.... anti-matter might be one of the future energy source

but what could be millions years away from now.

There's no guarantee that we could control this source well, since the power it brings is also devastating.

If a part of the anti-matter leak out from the power plant, hundred square miles might be gone within seconds.