teaching people to code in vb

rct

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm not sure you're still looking for an answer to this since it was asked so long ago, but in case somebody needs to know, I"ll still post this. I know a couple of people that started programming in college as online courses and they all started with Visual Basic. I tried it, too, and am now able to progress to other languages fairly easily. One of the best ways to really learn a language, though, is to get active on a programming forum. Vbforums.com really helped me out a lot, and as the name says it's just a visual basic forum.

If someone has some programming experience, they may want to start in C because there are so many similar languages; I just find it somewhat more difficult than Visual Basic.

What would be the program should i teach them first?

Why, "Hello World!", of course. ;)

rct, first I would teach them how to make a program, and it's components ie. Loops, statements, functions, etc.

Joe's right, teach them the theory and logic behind what they're doing before they actually touch any code.

• 4 weeks later...

Try to explain more on the philosophy behind programming.

That would attract interest of students.

For me, I would prefer my lecturer tells me more stories out of the book, e.g. history of programming

and also how programmers developed those built-in functions.