Cloudflare and 5xx errors

maicol07

Hi,

I'm wondering if CloudFlare really makes a website faster (especially with WordPress), because in the last weeks errors like the 502 and the 520 one often occured. I tried so to deactivate the HTTP proxy to my WordPress websites and I think the errors has gone away... (I have to make more tests). Also, when I disconnected the proxy it replaced the SSL certificate from self-certified with an expired CPanel AutoSSL one (I hope it renews soon... before 24h). What do you think of this?

Thanks

I don't use cloudflare personally. Cloudflare is only useful on sites that have a lot of static content that doesn't change. If you site is mostly html files or you have a lot of large image files then cloudflare will help a lot, but if your site is mostly php files or any other scripting language cloudflare is going to have to go to the source to get the content anyways. I also dislike the cloudflare error page popping up for people on my sites. I'd rather have a custom error message, or the page just times out and you get a default browser error message.

• Like 1

I don't use cloudflare personally. Cloudflare is only useful on sites that have a lot of static content that doesn't change. If you site is mostly html files or you have a lot of large image files then cloudflare will help a lot, but if your site is mostly php files or any other scripting language cloudflare is going to have to go to the source to get the content anyways. I also dislike the cloudflare error page popping up for people on my sites. I'd rather have a custom error message, or the page just times out and you get a default browser error message.

Ok, so I won't use it for my WordPress websites (which are mostly based on PHP). What about the SSL certificate?

1:20:29 AM WARN The domain “maicol07.tk” failed domain control validation: The validation required 1 HTTP redirect, but the AutoSSL provider “cPanel (powered by Comodo)” does not permit HTTP redirects.
In order for autossl to work it has to verify that your site is hosted on our servers. The way it does this is by putting a temporary text file on your domain. The other catch is the text file has to be accessible via plain http. In this case it would be http://maicol07.tk/.well-known/pki-validation/ See how it redirects to https? That's why autossl won't work.

1:20:29 AM WARN The domain “maicol07.tk” failed domain control validation: The validation required 1 HTTP redirect, but the AutoSSL provider “cPanel (powered by Comodo)” does not permit HTTP redirects.
In order for autossl to work it has to verify that your site is hosted on our servers. The way it does this is by putting a temporary text file on your domain. The other catch is the text file has to be accessible via plain http. In this case it would be http://maicol07.tk/.well-known/pki-validation/ See how it redirects to https? That's why autossl won't work.

I see... the domain maicol07.tk is linked with CloudFlare, the two SSL certificates that don't work are for the domains "apps.maicol07.tk" and "books.maicol07.tk", which aren't connected with CF.

Same error for those subdomains:

1:20:27 AM WARN The domain “apps.maicol07.tk” failed domain control validation: The validation required 1 HTTP redirect, but the AutoSSL provider “cPanel (powered by Comodo)” does not permit HTTP redirects.
1:20:28 AM WARN The domain “books.maicol07.tk” failed domain control validation: The validation required 1 HTTP redirect, but the AutoSSL provider “cPanel (powered by Comodo)” does not permit HTTP redirects.

Same error for those subdomains:

1:20:27 AM WARN The domain “apps.maicol07.tk” failed domain control validation: The validation required 1 HTTP redirect, but the AutoSSL provider “cPanel (powered by Comodo)” does not permit HTTP redirects.
1:20:28 AM WARN The domain “books.maicol07.tk” failed domain control validation: The validation required 1 HTTP redirect, but the AutoSSL provider “cPanel (powered by Comodo)” does not permit HTTP redirects.

So what can I do?

How can I disable HTTPS redirect in .htaccess only in that folder?

EDIT: I think I've solved by myself. It should work...

I have this code in my htaccess:

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/[0-9]+\..+\.cpaneldcv$
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/\.well-known/acme-challenge/[0-9a-zA-Z_-]+$
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/\.well-known/pki-validation/[A-F0-9]{32}\.txt(?:\ Comodo\ DCV)?$
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/[0-9]+\..+\.cpaneldcv$
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/\.well-known/acme-challenge/[0-9a-zA-Z_-]+$
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/\.well-known/pki-validation/[A-F0-9]{32}\.txt(?:\ Comodo\ DCV)?$
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>
Edited by maicol07

12:32:39 PM WARN The domain “maicol07.tk” failed domain control validation: The validation required 1 HTTP redirect, but the AutoSSL provider “cPanel (powered by Comodo)” does not permit HTTP redirects.
Still getting the same error.
l've only changed the apps, books and blog subdomains because the other domains are linked to CF.

Ah, ok. Autossl is working on those subdomains:

12:37:03 PM The queue contains a request for a certificate for “maicol07”’s website “books.maicol07.tk”. The system last polled for this certificate at Feb 14, 2018, 6:32:42 PM UTC. The next poll will be no earlier than Feb 14, 2018, 6:37:42 PM UTC.
12:37:03 PM The queue contains a request for a certificate for “maicol07”’s website “blog.maicol07.tk”. The system last polled for this certificate at Feb 14, 2018, 6:32:44 PM UTC. The next poll will be no earlier than Feb 14, 2018, 6:37:44 PM UTC.
12:37:03 PM The queue contains a request for a certificate for “maicol07”’s website “apps.maicol07.tk”. The system last polled for this certificate at Feb 14, 2018, 6:32:41 PM UTC. The next poll will be no earlier than Feb 14, 2018, 6:37:41 PM UTC.
The certificate should be installed and working in less than an hour.

Ah, ok. Autossl is working on those subdomains:

12:37:03 PM The queue contains a request for a certificate for “maicol07”’s website “books.maicol07.tk”. The system last polled for this certificate at Feb 14, 2018, 6:32:42 PM UTC. The next poll will be no earlier than Feb 14, 2018, 6:37:42 PM UTC.
12:37:03 PM The queue contains a request for a certificate for “maicol07”’s website “blog.maicol07.tk”. The system last polled for this certificate at Feb 14, 2018, 6:32:44 PM UTC. The next poll will be no earlier than Feb 14, 2018, 6:37:44 PM UTC.
12:37:03 PM The queue contains a request for a certificate for “maicol07”’s website “apps.maicol07.tk”. The system last polled for this certificate at Feb 14, 2018, 6:32:41 PM UTC. The next poll will be no earlier than Feb 14, 2018, 6:37:41 PM UTC.
The certificate should be installed and working in less than an hour.

Ok. Thanks Krydos!