[Solved] Can the default file permissions of 664 be changed on Johnny?

halfercode

After a few little hiccups with logging in, I am now able to upload PHP scripts to my account. Woop!

However, when uploading via SFTP, I notice that the default permissions are 664, which gives group write access to my files. cPanel does not like that, and so bombs out with this error:

SoftException in Application.cpp:256: File "/path/to/script.php" is writeable by group

I suspect this is a default that I cannot change myself, other than modifying permissions per-file after I have uploaded them. I think the default should be 644, which works for me.

If the changes can be done and are per-user, my username is "halfer". However, it seems to me that this should be 644 for everyone.

Can this tweak be made, or is it group-write by default for a reason? Thanks!

Ah, a bit more digging on this - it's the same with directories as well.

If I create a directory via cPanel, the permissions on it will be 755, and PHP files will run fine. If I correct the directory via SFTP, the permissions are 775, and any PHP files within will result in a 500 error.

Interestingly, that 500 error does not itself appear in the "errlog.html" error log page in cPanel.

(Thanks for moving the post, Luigi).