Bobby Fisher

Wizard

Bobby Fisher was one of the greatest chess players that ever lived. He's the only guy in the US to beat the Russians for the World Chess Championship

Well, he's dead now... died in Iceland

Some people say that's a good thing. (He became anti-America and antisemitic)

Some people say it's a bad thing. (Chess became more popular in the US because of him beating the Russians and everything)

What do you guys think?

• 2 months later...

You may have seen this already, but there is a significant amount written about Bobby Fischer in Wikipedia. Believe it or not I'm old enough to remember him winning the tournament. I also remember how many people became interested in Chess after the match. Many schools formed Chess Clubs and I even joined one for a short time.

I respect his ability to play the game of chess and the amount of training and matches it must have taken to get to that level of play. An achievement like that takes a tremendous amount of determination and love for the game. What I can't respect were his political views and disregard for authority.

I'm disappointed that he never played Garry Kasparov for the title. My thoughts are that he should have played the match following the rules established by FIDE. Those rules were in place when he earned the title, why should he have the ability to change them? The rematch with Spassky was also a mess. Once again, he felt he was above the law. That could of been handled much better on his part.

I really don't have much of an opinion about the impact of his death. It is sad when anyone dies, but it is a fact of life. With the exception of a few headlines, he became relatively obscure during the years following 1972. Who knows, maybe he wanted it that way.

• 1 month later...

My son joined a chess club in 2nd grade and was pretty darned good. He still beats me more often than I beat him. I remember running (almost literally) out and getting The Search for Bobby Fisher when he joined the club as I remembered it was such a good movie (for a movie) and that's all I knew about Bobby Fisher. We still watch it whenever it shows on television. This thread makes me want to grab it again.

....back to work. sigh

My son joined a chess club in 2nd grade and was pretty darned good. He still beats me more often than I beat him. I remember running (almost literally) out and getting The Search for Bobby Fisher when he joined the club as I remembered it was such a good movie (for a movie) and that's all I knew about Bobby Fisher. We still watch it whenever it shows on television. This thread makes me want to grab it again.

....back to work. sigh

Hey I've seen that movie! The *sweep all pieces onto the ground and visualize your attack* doesn't work for me :(.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, he's dead now... died in Iceland

Some people say that's a good thing. (He became anti-America and antisemitic)

Some people say it's a bad thing. (Chess became more popular in the US because of him beating the Russians and

I agree with the Chess becoming more popular thing. In that respect, it's too bad he died - just like Gary Gygax. On the other hand, the whole anti-semitist thing tarnishes his name. At the same time, it did the same thing to Mel Gibson, and we won't dance on his grave for it. :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...
Bobby Fischer was one of the greatest chess players ever to be born.

Bobby Fisher was one of the greatest chess players that ever lived.

Thank you for regurgitating the very first line of my first post.

Sorry, though please note the 5 word differences: lived, born, was, that, to, and be.

That... really doesn't matter. You contributed nothing to the thread. Your post only proved that you didn't read the very first post, or that you like copying other people's comments.

Either way, it reflects negatively on you.