[Solved] Tommy is useless for Production.

patents

I have couple of websites on tommy. I use it throughout the day. but most of the times either it takes too long to load or dead.

Is there any way we can solve this issue. it looks like tommy can't be use for production websites.

Nobody else is saying there's issues with Tommy, so odds are it's your code that's causing the problem. There's a few spots of red from overloading, but they quickly remedy themselves and the server suspends the user. http://heliohost.grd.net.pl/monitor/ My own private monitors also show Tommy having a 99.6% uptime over the 7 days, ignoring the 37 minute outage overnight this morning.

I do get some lags on occasion while Apache restarts, but those are usually for 10-30 seconds and don't really cause problems. I'm running 3 websites (2 of which are for real businesses) plus the entire HelioMine backend on my account and have had virtually no issues with it. 

If you want 100% perfect, no lag web hosting with a similar feature set, you'll likely need to get a paid host or get a VPS and run your own server. If I remember right you use Django, and I don't know of any other free hosts that even offer Django, let alone with better uptime.

Nobody else is saying there's issues with Tommy

because I think nobody might be using it for production server.

odds are it's your code that's causing the problem.

It's simple index.html I am testing. see patents.heliohost.org.

ignoring the 37 minute outage overnight this morning.

How can you ignore the outage. It's the damn point I am talking about. You can not say ignoring 40 minutes of downtime, Tommy was up 99 %. That's not acceptable.

I don't know of any other free hosts that even offer Django

I think Heliohost is offering tooooooo much. But in offering too much, if the very important thing, uptime is not offered it's useless.

Following are free Django hosting alternatives just for your information so that you don't say we are the only one everytime.

heliohost.org

Pros:we all know.

cons:

No console that is basic requirement of Django hosting.

No reliable uptime.

Hosted on apache embedded mode which is not reliable. read here

Conclusion: Not good for production.

https://www.pythonanywhere.com/

Pros:

Fast, up all the time.

Full fetured linux shell, python shell.

cons: No custom domains, emails etc., limited cpu time, no postgress.

conclusion: Not good for production as you can't have custom domain for free. Best if you are happy with subdomains like patents.pythonanywhere.com

https://cloud.google.com

Pros:

Fast, up all the time.

full fetured shell.

cons:

Credit card is required for even free tier.

No sql db in free tier. you will have to configure googl's DB.

python 2 only.

No disk write is allowed.

Note: I have not tried setting custome domains but it seems possible view some of the videos.

Conclusion: Can be used If you don't require DB and Disk write for free in production.

You will find many more free django app on GCP compared to heliohost. I think nobody uses django + postgres on heliohost because when I was trying django on heliohost I found that driver for that was not even installed.

openshift.com

Not tried but seems workable.

aws.amazon.com

Not tried but seem useless for production.

for more infor:

https://wiki.python.org/moin/FreeHosts

The monitor http://heliohost.grd.net.pl/monitor/ is not accurate. Many time when there is no response it shows ok. I will write tommy server performance script and share the result. the tommy's uptime 99.55% is inflated. it's not realistic.

If you want 100% perfect, no lag web hosting with a similar feature set, you'll likely need to get a paid host 

This is not the solution to problem. You should be working towards betterment of hosting service rather than suggesting to leave someone.

Edited by patents

You're one user who loves to complain...we have over 1400 other users and many more domains on Tommy, happily using it with no complaints. We will not be changing anything because of one complaint, especially when the uptime issues are beyond our control.

You're welcome to go elsewhere. Most of the ones you listed are missing a lot of the functionality we offer, though in your case you might not care about Java or PHP support for instance, so this may be acceptable to you. They also all seem to have a ton of restrictions or require a credit card. Have you considered just buying a VPS and running your own server? Then you can run whatever you want.

Also, the ridiculousness of this statement is amazing:

aws.amazon.com

Um, you do realize that 1000s of companies including gigantic ones like Netflix and GE use this for production right? It's one of the largest ones out there.

@patent

You are sying that,

why you want to use an online console instead you just write your code in your desktop then compile it and upload it to your live server (patents.heliohost.org). I think this will be more reliable way for Django. I've my website completely written in HTML,CSS,Jquery & PHP, I've never used the File Manager of cPanel to write a whole PHP script. I use Notepad++ to write codes then I test it on my local server then upload it to live server because this provides me more features & usability than any online editors can. And you should do the same.

And your second point is

No reliable uptime.

The uptime of Tommy server is the highest uptime than the other servers like Johnny/Stevie. And you are saying that, "it takes too long to load or dead", I've tested your website http://patents.heliohost.org/, and your page takes 0.268 seconds (268ms) to load, do you expect faster than this?. I've my own website on Tommy, I've not noticed any problems like you.

Hosted on apache embedded mode which is not reliable.

So what whether Apache is configured as mod_wsgi or VHosts. It works as it should be.

If you are not happy with Heliohost then why don't you setup your own server because VPS also have some restrictions like RAM, Disk Space, Processor Cores, etc? In that way you can use anything you want. And see how much money it takes to run a server. And you are getting almost everything on Heliohost for free.

• Like 1

I have couple of websites on tommy. I use it throughout the day. but most of the times either it takes too long to load or dead.

Is there any way we can solve this issue. it looks like tommy can't be use for production websites.

It's not allowed to have more than one account per user. User means user not 'email'! So if everyone start using more than one account for 'testing' purpose then it is common to get uptime issues. First, try to maintain rules of heliohost. Once My account was suspended for causing downtime on tommy. And now I am on Johnny and can not get back on tommy before one month. So no one is beyond rules.

@wolstech might be forgotten to say about 'couple of websites'.

the tommy's uptime 99.55% is inflated. it's not realistic.

For what it's worth, we use a completely unbiased third party uptime monitor called statuscake to come up with that uptime value. If you think it's inflated you're welcome to contact statuscake about it.

Would you like me to delete your account? There are thousands of other people who appreciate what we offer. Tommy is at maximum capacity so deleting your account would be a great way to let someone take your space.

@wolstech I was saying amazon free tier for django production. all the listed comparison are of free tier. aws free tier have limited cpu time which is useless for production.

I have many time admired the service that heliohost offers but I must criticize what a great service is missing.

I tested my site patents.heliohost.org (static html) on pingdom.com and here are the results.

I am saying that heliohost is providing everything but if we can guarantee uptime, tommy can be a world class server.

Also, the ridiculousness of this statement is amazing:

aws.amazon.com

Um, you do realize that 1000s of companies including gigantic ones like Netflix and GE use this for production right? It's one of the largest ones out there.

I was talking about aws free tier which is not suitalble for django prodution.

Edited by patents

@patent

You are sying that,

why you want to use an online console instead.

PHP doesn't need this functionality but django does. it have tons of configurations which requires console and without which It becomes very difficult to use django mainly for using djanog ORM for database.

Would you like me to delete your account? There are thousands of other people who appreciate what we offer. Tommy is at maximum capacity so deleting your account would be a great way to let someone take your space.

I didn't meant to get you angry.

I am just saying is there anything we can do about downtime mostly outages which are more than an hour sometimes.

If I can help in any way to heliohost in achieving something I will be happy to help rather than leaving.

If you really thing removing my account will help others, I am happy to get my account deleted. Just tell me in advance so that I can backup my data.

Thank you.

Edited by patents

@patent

You are sying that,

PHP doesn't need this functionality but django does. it have tons of configurations which requires console and without which It becomes very difficult to use django mainly for using djanog ORM for database.

It's not so difficult to use a standalone code editor and a console for example, Command Prompt. You can write codes using Notepad++ and compile them using CMD and then upload it to your website. And do you know Heliohost offers WebDAV which you can use like Windows Explorer.

@patent

You are sying that,

It's not so difficult to use a standalone code editor and a console for example, Command Prompt. You can write codes using Notepad++ and compile them using CMD and then upload it to your website. And do you know Heliohost offers WebDAV which you can use like Windows Explorer.

Have you ever used django? If not than please don't make this thing more complicated that it is already.

Edited by patents