Best languages to make a (good) website

Kim-Lan

I once saw some sites offers video tutorial for Flash..

I think I might have lost them..

If anyone interested, I'll try to find it back.

p/s: just simple and basic tutorials.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
What do you think is the best language I can learn to form my website?

I'm somewhat a beginner in website making. I currently know HTML/ XHTML and are learning PHP. I have an idea for my website, but I want to know how I can make my website better than average before I start developing it.

I've been thinking that PHP is a good language to use, but I don't know that much about it.

Please post your thoughts on the subject.

Thanks! :)

And also Flash, CSS, Javascript......

Not all websites need to use PHP, what website are you making?

• 4 weeks later...
HTML + CSS + PHP + MySQL have suited my needs so far tongue.gif

That is the foremost basic thing needed to build a interactive site.

but for stunning one, you will need Flash.

With the world moving more and more towards high speed, flash is becoming less of an issue but it still requires a lot of bandwidth and support. Most people want it because of its "flashiness" (excuse the pun). In honesty, with CSS and Photoshop or ... I think it's called Fireworks, you can do the same thing. gif files will be smaller and allow you to put text where text is required. That and flash is much more difficult to update. Take forums for example. PHPBB is extremely pretty and it has no flash. IPB is the same way.

I see the point of both, but if you're trying to provide a service, you don't want to exclude people who may want your product but can't because they can't reach your site. If it's personal, flash is more presentable with much less effort and will impress people more quickly.

It's all in how you want to market your site.

I personally don't like flash sites. I think they are clunky and ugly most of the time. I mean there are specific uses for using flash, like video players where having a gif file that huge would just be ridiculous. But I mean coding your whole site in flash is pretty pointless... I've noticed alot of sites that did their site in flash, and it could have been done with simple HTML & CSS and would have taken up alot less space.

I know it's all down to personal preference, but you also have to consider if your visitors like your site. Because without your visitors, there isn't any point to having a website.

I personally don't like flash sites. I think they are clunky and ugly most of the time. I mean there are specific uses for using flash, like video players where having a gif file that huge would just be ridiculous. But I mean coding your whole site in flash is pretty pointless... I've noticed alot of sites that did their site in flash, and it could have been done with simple HTML & CSS and would have taken up alot less space.

I know it's all down to personal preference, but you also have to consider if your visitors like your site. Because without your visitors, there isn't any point to having a website.

You're right at some stage, but consider this, when a movie company is trying to make a website that attracts more people for the movie. How should the site be made?

100% with flash? Or an advance webpage with JS, CSS, PHP, AJAX with a lot of marvelous graphic??

Well, flash will be more eye-catchy if you noticed, that's the reason why all movie promoting site uses flash as their media.

And if you notice, if you put a lot of graphic on your site, the end result is the total size of a page is greater than a flash.

(my personal site just sizing 330KB, not really much heavier than a site nicely decorated with a lot of graphics.)