I Am Legend

malcomhfc

I absolutely hate it when animals die in movies. They could kill off entire planets, one person at a time, and I wouldn't bat an eye... but when the doggie gets hurt, I go nuts.

That being said, I didn't think it was as good as it could've been. The original trailers implied that he really was the "last man on earth;" we see that isn't true. I'm still waiting for the movie they advertised. :S

• 5 weeks later...

I guess I just have a hard time accepting Will Smith as a serious actor. When I see the Fresh Prince of Bel Air trying to shed a tear as he's blowing away masses of zombies, the only thing that comes to mind is the aforementioned show's theme song.

:S

• 2 weeks later...

It was a fabulous Movie. top notch i'd give it a 7 out of 10.

it doesn't deserve the other three points because

1: They killed the dog

2: They killed him

3: They never showed that sexy red sports car after the first few scenes.

When I saw this movie it immediately reminded me of a 1971 movie called The Omega Man, starring Charleton Heston. The main character played by Will Smith and Charleton Heston is the same in each, Dr. Robert Neville. There are enough differences in the plot and script of each movie that make them unique enough that you don't know how things are going to play out. Today I did a quick search and found a Wikipedia entry on I Am Legend. It turns out that the novel these movies were based on was written in 1954 by Richard Matheson. It has been used for three movies. The other movie is The Last Man on Earth starring Vicent Price released in 1964. I can remember the name, but don't remember ever watching it.

I liked the movie. The plot really gets you thinking about what you would do to survive in a post apocalyptic world with flesh eating zombies trying to get you. :) Now that I know about the novel I may even go to the library and check it out. There are suppose to be a number of differences.

I Am Legend wasn't bad though.

It did attracts me, but was a bit disappointed with the "zombies" inside.

Was hoping the "zombies" can be like RE(Resident Evil), walk in the wild light and attack others.

Was hoping more fighting scenes in it.

Was hoping to see more actors in it (others than Will Smith)

But the ending really impressed me. It do the effect.

By the way, really do think that this movie was the movie with lowest cost. (Only 1 actor and a dog plays the whole job)

• 1 month later...

Yea... I wonder how much Will Smith get for this movie.

1x salary? or 2x, 3x, 4x since there's less actors in the movie. LOL

i thought it was an amazing movie, and the zombie were more vampires than zombies

killing the dog was not pointless, they had to make you feel how alone he was

i like the theatrical ending better than the alternate ending, since the alt leaves it open

for a sequal and they arent doing one, tho it was cool in its own right.

Hey, Will Smith is having a new movie again, about he is having some sorta superpower, kinda like superman.

I saw the preview but forgot the movie name.

Seems like Will Smith is "really" becoming a hero.

i like the theatrical ending better than the alternate ending, since the alt leaves it open

for a sequal and they arent doing one, tho it was cool in its own right.

Clue me in will you, only saw one ending whats the other like?

• 2 weeks later...

I thought it was a teriffic movie, though painful to watch. Will Smith is an amazing actor. I think he's the reason the movie works as well as it does. His character, having gone through such horror, would exist in pretty much total and constant anguish. It takes outstanding writers and actors to take what's basically a comic-book premise ("last man on earth") and make it believable.

I hated the scene with his dog too, but I understand why they included it. His dog was his only remaining tie to his previous life, and once it was gone he truly had nothing to live for. That scene disturbed me so much I doubt I'll ever watch the movie again, but that's certainly not because I thought it was a bad movie.