[Solved] New Domain Issues

eeze

-- I submitted this to support@heliohost.org and later remembered heliohost prefers forum support, please ignore my email support request, sorry for the inconvenience --

Username: predent, Server: Tommy, old Main? domain: almazdentistry.com, new main domain: predents.com

Hi Heliohost! I finally secured the domain I've had my eye on for years. Unfortunately, I am having some difficulty integrating the domain into my Heliohost account.

1. On cPanel, my main domain is listed as predent.heliohost.org, but I am pretty sure I filed a request to change it to almazdentistry.com many many months ago. Is the change suppose to take effect on the portal? Did the change never go through because I had almazdentistry.com listed as an Alias? Regardless, I filed a new request earlier today to change it to predents.com.

2. Is it possible to remove predent.heliohost.org from my account entirely? 

3. I can't figure out how to update my AutoSSL to cover the domain. Is there any way to update the certificate to include the new domain, or is this something that I will just have to sit on until the current certificate expires?

As a side note, during this transition period, is the best course of action to keep almazdentistry.com as an alias or should I somehow figure out a solution involving a .htaccess 301 redirect? Based on my understanding, Heliohost only allows 1 top level domain which would require me to open a hosting account elsewhere. Thank you for all of your help! Always appreciate it!

1. On cPanel, my main domain is listed as predent.heliohost.org, but I am pretty sure I filed a request to change it to almazdentistry.com many many months ago. Is the change suppose to take effect on the portal? Did the change never go through because I had almazdentistry.com listed as an Alias? Regardless, I filed a new request earlier today to change it to predents.com.

Bingo. You can't make the main domain anything that's already attached to your account in some other way. It just fails quietly if you try. You should've removed it first before trying to make it your main domain.

2. Is it possible to remove predent.heliohost.org from my account entirely? 

This will happen on its own once you change your main domain again.

3. I can't figure out how to update my AutoSSL to cover the domain. Is there any way to update the certificate to include the new domain, or is this something that I will just have to sit on until the current certificate expires?

As a side note, during this transition period, is the best course of action to keep almazdentistry.com as an alias or should I somehow figure out a solution involving a .htaccess 301 redirect? Based on my understanding, Heliohost only allows 1 top level domain which would require me to open a hosting account elsewhere. Thank you for all of your help! Always appreciate it!

AutoSSL should do it on it's own, though it can take up to 24 hours to happen once the domain is added to the account. If it doesn't after 24 hours, I can manually run it for you.

What I would do since you now have both domains, is make predents.com the main domain and add (or leave alone if already added) almazdentistry.com as an alias parked on top of predents.com. Both sites will show the same content. If you really want the almaz domain to send users to predents.com (as opposed to just displaying the predents website) when visited, you can add a 301 Redirect on the almaz domain from cPanel.

Once you make the main domain change to predents.com, the old predents.heliohost.org domain will disappear on its own.

Thank you for the speedy reply wolstech.

I had a gut feeling it was related to the parked domains, but prior to having the new domain, I didn't want to risk 48 hours of downtime. I didn't see anything in the Wiki about a conflict between the main domain switch script and the parked domains so that possibility didn't come to mind until recently.

I just filed a newer domain change request after removing the parked domain name and will let you know in ~2 days if I had any of my issues remain.

Good idea about using the cPanel redirect, I completely forgot that existed. I think I want to stick to a 301 in the long run as I've read thats the best way to protect the SOE rankings.

Cheers!

I saw! Thank you! I'm currently working on trying to get almazdentistry.com to 301 to predents.com. There doesn't seem to be a way to set a 301 in cpanel without first placing almazdentistry.com as a parked domain. Is that the proper way to do this?

Fixed? lol DNS sucks

Edited by eeze