Which IDE is best?

mrj

Hi,

I had been coding on mobile since I learned to code. Now I am going to get a laptop. So I just want to know which IDE or software(s) should I install on my Laptop for developing my site. Any suggestions for this noob?? :)

I heard that Visual Studio is paid and require a lot of resource and memory. Free ones will be best. Is the NeatBean good? Should I install XAMPP for testing my codes offline? Please tell me your opinions.

I've never used netbeans. Also, Visual Studio != Visual Studio Code. The second one is free, the first one is not. Both are very bloated and can be resource hogs though.

Seeing you mention XAMPP makes me think you're doing PHP development...in which case you can make do with something as simple as notepad++. I've written tons of PHP code over the years, NPP or SciTe got used for all of it.

...and yes, XAMPP is probably the best way to test your code. You won't be able to send mail, but it'll do just about everything else.

I've installed NetBeans IDE and JDK 8. I will try them tonight. As I don't have broadband connection, I need to wait before I get huge (mobile) data. Then I will try all of your suggested IDEs.

@Bailey: Only the code version is actually free. The others are trial versions.

It's a trial if you don't sign in. Otherwise it's free for lifetime (VS Community)

Only for VS Community its free.

The professional and enterprise versions require payment...

Edited by ziad0

If you're mostly into web development Atom, Visual Studio Code, Sublime are top notch and by far the most solid editors out there.

If you want to be a little nerdy and go for the old school style, try Vim & emacs.

If you're into Python and mostly software development you should try stuff like Eclipse, NetBeans, Visual Studio, there are plenty of them.

My Web Development Toolkit

1) Xampp does have a mail server, php, perl, tomcat, etc. so perfect for testing.locally.

2) I personally use notepad++. I only use VS for developing actual EXEs so that's that.

Well that's what I  use

Okay, XAMPP is required for testing offline and locally. I have it. NetBeans IDE and Visual Studio Code is little bit complicated for me. Because I am new at these things. Now I am going to try jEdit (got idea from stackoverflow) and Notepad++ (as most peoples suggested). Thanks all for your suggestions. You are welcome to give your opinions.