Johnny Backups

HelioHost

After extensive testing it looks like Johnny has suffered one too many crashes and it scrambled his filesystem completely. The hard drive itself appears to be perfectly intact. It's just the operating system that is corrupt. This means that it is highly likely he will crash again after a random amount of time. We have brought Johnny online so people can try to quickly take a backup of their site. If Johnny continues crashing we will be forced to take the next step in the repair process which will undoubtedly result in data loss from the hard drive. That is why we're going to encourage people to take backups quickly.

I'd give it at least a few weeks if we rebuild it (accounting for testing time, etc.), less if we somehow magically managed to fix the file system and retain the old Johnny.

Account backups will likely be made available if we rebuild, but I don't know much as I'm not the one doing the repairs (Krydos is the expert on the linux servers).

• Like 1

Hi all.

I wonder what should happen to accounts that cannot login to Johnny and overcome the maximum period of inactivity: would they be suspended? Or, worse yet, the owner will need to request the creation of a new account? Stating the time needed to have Java enabled, it could be painful...

They won't expire for inactivity while the server is down. However, if we do rebuild the server, the accounts will be deleted and everyone will need to sign up again and restore a backup.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. If you want an account now, you need to either use Ricky or Tommy and sign up at midnight UTC before they fill for the day, or you can donate and get an invite so you don't need to compete for one of the free accounts.

Once Johnny is fixed or rebuilt, we'll know whether signing up again is needed for Johnny. A rebuild means signing up again, managing to somehow fix it means the old account should still be there.