Is there any service similar to HelioHost but for hosting game servers?

Just a question in my mind.

I have a raspberry pi but running a modded minecraft server is a bit over the edge for it.

Does exist any hosting service similar to heliohost but for game servers?

Any hints are appreciated!

Modded MC on an rPI?  :o  My i7-6700K based server can sometimes have a hard time with modded MC 1.7.10 (yeah, old school). It handles well up to 5-7 players, but beyond that, it's lag city. If I let it have the whole box (instead of half of it in a VM), I'd get ~20 players online at once on a $1200 box.

To answer, I don't think so. Game servers are very resource hungry. You'd need a ton of resources to offer such a service, and such resources quickly get expensive. They also don't lend well to advertising or other similar ways of making money, so I can't imagine such a service staying in business without selling something.

You could always try a VPS I suppose...

Interesting fact: Many VPS providers actually explicitly ban Minecraft servers due to their resource requirements. It's quite possibly the most resource hungry game server ever made  :P (that's what you get for something that got made in Java...)

That'd work.

Also, there are VPS providers that don't forbid Minecraft, but it tends to be the more expensive ones that allow them. There's also dedicated "game hosting" services, some of which specialize specifically in Minecraft servers, which can be had for reasonable prices in many cases.

Modded MC on an rPI?  :o  My i7-6700K based server can sometimes have a hard time with modded MC 1.7.10 (yeah, old school). It handles well up to 5-7 players, but beyond that, it's lag city. If I let it have the whole box (instead of half of it in a VM), I'd get ~20 players online at once on a $1200 box.

I was able to run a 1.11.2 server with some mods for two players (in a pi3B), but it randomly crashed. I heard on raspberry pi subreddit the new 3B+ could run a bit better, but i dont have one yet.

You could always try a VPS I suppose...

So the correct question should be: Is there any VPS service with business model similar to HelioHost?

Probably was running out of memory. MC is a ram hog. I have a 1.7.10 server with 73 mods, it needs 6-8GB idle. It's allocated 16, and will use all of it if there's players on. It can and does crash when it runs out of memory. I'm going to assume an rPi has no swap file either...

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So the correct question should be: Is there any VPS service with business model similar to HelioHost?

It should be noted that HelioHost does actually provide vps. Check out https://www.heliohost.org/vps/ You can run a minecraft server on it if you want too. No one has tried that yet on our vps so I'm not too sure how much load it would cause so it's not banned (yet).