[Answered] Wordpress Network Mode

jpx3m.com

Good day all,

I was trying to create a network in my wordpress installation in Tommy and this warning came up,

Warning! Wildcard DNS may not be configured correctly!

The installer attempted to contact a random hostname (38eb3c.jpx3m.com) on your domain. This resulted in an error message: cURL error 6: Could not resolve host: 38eb3c.jpx3m.com

To use a subdomain configuration, you must have a wildcard entry in your DNS. This usually means adding a * hostname record pointing at your web server in your DNS configuration tool.

You can still use your site but any subdomain you create may not be accessible. If you know your DNS is correct, ignore this message.

i was wondering if Tommy allows subdomain multisites

thanks and God bless

All of these issues are due to you trying to use SSL. cPanel can't handle SSL with wildcard subdomain DNS.

The only solutions are these:

• Add each subdomain you create to cPanel, then let it install a valid certificate via AutoSSL which should happen within 24 hours (this isn't compatible with forced HTTPS unless you add an exception for the .well-known folder so that folder can be accessed over plain HTTP).
  • Just use plain HTTP for everything.

All of these issues are due to you trying to use SSL. cPanel can't handle SSL with wildcard subdomain DNS.

The only solutions are these:

• Add each subdomain you create to cPanel, then let it install a valid certificate via AutoSSL which should happen within 24 hours (this isn't compatible with forced HTTPS unless you add an exception for the .well-known folder so that folder can be accessed over plain HTTP).
  • Just use plain HTTP for everything.

thanks for the reply. i was indeed way over my head on this one. lol.

Thanks. God bless.

should i delete the ssl that has the *.jpx3m.com? and get a new one?

Edited by jpx3m.com

Not sure whether the wildcard ceritificate will work or not (you can try), but I do know you have to add the subdomains to cpanel one by one, then install the certificate for each of them. Adding the subdomain to cpanel does certain things in the Apache configuration that are required for the subdomains to work properly.