Changes Coming

Ashoat

Don't worry, I know how to use the credit cards to my advantage ^_^

Just pick up a no-interest-for-12-months deal, and drop the card after 12 months. Of course, you can't use the card for purchases or else the company will decide that you have to pay your original debt first and the purchases will quickly accumulate interest. It's really quite easy to abuse the credit card companies, and I don't feel guilty about it either considering their conduct.

Wow, might try that one day.

Anyway, good to hear of the changes that are coming to the Helionet and Heliohost place, I've always been an avid supporter so I suppose I should get back to what I do best: help out on the community.

~KaRath

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be much more impressed if you started cleaning up the forum first. You could go ahead and take down the comedy & art and entertainment forum, and reduce the philosophy and debate forum into just one sub-forum (or get rid of it all together as well). I would like to see the forums more based around computers (as that would attract people who are here for purposes other than spamming). Movies and Comedy forums just scream spam.

Joe

I would be much more impressed if you started cleaning up the forum first. You could go ahead and take down the comedy & art and entertainment forum, and reduce the philosophy and debate forum into just one sub-forum (or get rid of it all together as well). I would like to see the forums more based around computers (as that would attract people who are here for purposes other than spamming). Movies and Comedy forums just scream spam.

Joe

I agree, there are quite a few n00bs double posting and necromancing, there's few real conversations, and half the time I post, I have to tell some person to read the big, red lettering on the top of the forum.

To Wizard and awsomejoe23:

Well... djbob had already come out with an idea of giving Helions based on quality of posts. It's very simple, you apply for the moderator. And if you feel those forums are unlikely worthful, you just simply give 1 Helions per post. I guess those spammers will stop automatically.

(Well... I enjoy discussing some entertainment stuffs back in there. But I do post seriously, not spamming:-))

I think that a FAQ would help new users. I made a rough one with basic questions I see a lot. I'm sure it has a plethora of grammatical errors (I was in a rush, sorry). I think this would be a good start though. I know you have a help portal, but people are more familiar with faqs on forums.

Joe

F.A.Q.
  • Where do I sign up for hosting?

This depends on which kind of hosting account you wish to obtain. There are three major types of hosting accounts in which you can consider. Look below for the three different kinds of hosting plans

• Ad based hosting

Ad based hosting allows you to get free web hosting with 150mb of space and 1.5gb of bandwidth by agreeing to maintain a ad banner on your website. You may chose to have this placed automatically for you, or you can place it manually if needed. You can sign up for ad based hosting here.

• Posting based hosting

Posting based hosting allows you to collaboratively post on the helionet forums to help others in the community in exchange for hosting. There are two posting plans in which you can use, the posting standard plan (which requires you to contribute 25 quality posts a month). The posting standard plan will give you 150mb of space, and 1.5gb of bandwidth. There is also the Posting Plus plan (which requires you to make 100 quality posts a month, roughly 3 quality posts a day). The Posting Plus package gives you 250mb of webspace, and 2.5gb of bandwidth. You can acquire either plans by signing up in the forums, then going to the store and buying the plan which corresponds with the amount of quality posts you have made.

NOTE: You must must sign up for hosting first. When you buy the hosting item, click signup rather than renew.

• Can I use my domain I got from helionet on another server?

No

• What domains are available to get on helionet?

.com .net or .org are available

• How do I get a domain name

You must acquire a total of 500 quality posts a year (roughly 1-2 posts a day). After you have done this you can obtain further instructions here.

• When I go to renew my hosting account it says that <mynamehere> isn't a valid account holder

You must use the username you signed up the hosting account with, not your forum username.

• I got an email saying my hosting services are about to be canceled.

This could a few different reasons. It could be because you have not visited the cpanel within a three month period. It could also be that you need to renew your monthly posting plan. If neither of these are the case, and you get a notice on your site, please then contact someone on the forum.

• I have lost helions, or have an incorrect amount of helions corresponding to the amount of my posts.

This could because you have spammed the forums and you have been fined. If you continue to spam, you may be banned.

• Heliohost has been unreliable, and has not had a 100% up-time, I demand a refund!

You payed $0.0 for your posting, so you will get the refund of $0.0

• Can I have multiple accounts?

No you can't. If you are caught, and you will be, you will get banned.

• Can I host illegal content, adult material, or scripts which may be used in illegal purposes?

No

• Do I own my domain name that I receive from helionet?

In the legal sense no, but as long as you are a quality user and abide by the rules, you can count on keeping it.

• May I have subdomains

You may make as many subdomains as you want (note you only get one subdomain from heliohost ie yoursubdomain.heliohost.org)

• So and so is sending me advertisements or spaming me via private messaging

Please forward the pm to a moderator or administrator.

• This is if you wish to keep the interest, and this is a little confusing.
  • How do I collect interest

You must deposit your helions in the bank. You can then collect your interest after 3:00 p.m. (0 GMT) the next day (depending on daylight savings time). After you collect interest, you can not collect interest until 3:00 p.m. (0 GMT) the next day. If you make a deposit in a period of time in which you can collect interest, it will void your interest for the day. Therefore you should collect your interest before you make deposits.

Just rearrange.

UPDATE: I've got a credit card to buy the server with now. I'm probably going to actually get a Quad-Core Core 2 Duo processor instead of the Xeon, but in exchange the server will have 1 TB of HDD space and 8 GB of RAM. Probably a good trade-off - the Xeon processors aren't much more than modified Core 2 Duos.

Should be ordering the server sometime soon.

Just rearrange.

UPDATE: I've got a credit card to buy the server with now. I'm probably going to actually get a Quad-Core Core 2 Duo processor instead of the Xeon, but in exchange the server will have 1 TB of HDD space and 8 GB of RAM. Probably a good trade-off - the Xeon processors aren't much more than modified Core 2 Duos.

Should be ordering the server sometime soon.

*Sits there salivating with his tongue hanging out*

Awesome djbob... now just make sure you pay that debt back, we don't want our bob to be in a debt :P

Nice to hear that from djbob.

I guess server runtime will be increase to 99.99% after the server has been bought.

Well... hope that djbob could fulfill his other promises listed at #01 especially those benefits forum members!

Bravo!! Cheers!

I'm definitely getting the Core 2 Duo processor now... turns out that the only difference between the Xeon and the Core 2 Duo was that the Xeon has a multiplier of 8x and the Core 2 Duo had 9x. Everything else is identical. Definitely would prefer a higher multiplier, especially when it comes with 1TB HDD and 8GB RAM ^_^

Server is going to be purchased this Monday. Should come about a week after that, at which point I'll install an OS and cPanel/WHM and then ship it off to the datacenter.

Dear djbob, is that means that we will have several days of server downtime at the time you install your new server?

Hope we will be informed of the server down time, thanks.

No, but I'm not going to auto-transfer all accounts. I'm going to send everyone an email that we have a new server and if you like, you can switch to it. Within about one and a half months I will go ahead and remove the old server and all accounts attached to it.

Server switches will be done through a special request forum.