Rebuilding HelioHost Wiki

space2018

Hi,

I would like to contribute to HelioHost by helping with rebuilding the HelioHost wiki to be more user friendly and up to date. Some of the links on the main page could be re-located to the wiki's sidebar and templates could be imported from Wikipedia, so writers could then leverage Wikipedia's markup such as using Wikipedia's citation systems and infoboxes to create a more presentable wiki. Currently, content on the wiki is out of date and seems only to be have been updated infrequently. Such articles could benefit from being archived and/or updated, as required.

Upgrading a live wiki, however, is dangerous, but it is evident that it needs to occur. One solution is to create a mirrored wiki e.g. https://mirroredwiki.heliohost.org and then replace the old wiki when it is ready. I would be happy to to do this, but currently, I don't have a hosting space where I could setup the mirrored wiki. It wouldn't be advisable to use my current hosting space since this would interfere with my own projects hosted there. Instead, it would be ideal to have a mirrored wiki that could be used for testing and development purposes.

The process would involve:

1) Provisioning a host space on HelioHost for hosting the new, up to date wiki of HelioHost.

2) Install and configure the latest version of Mediawiki (at least version 1.30) - I could do this

3) Export all the content from the current HelioHost wiki into the mirrored wiki - I could do this

4) Redesign the wiki to be more user friendly - I could help do this

5) Test and debug the mirrored wiki - I could help do this

6) Delete (or archive) the old wiki

7) Replace the old wiki with the mirrored version

In any event, I strongly recommend that the current instance of Mediawiki, be either updated (or replaced as recommended). It is a very old version of Mediawiki, at least 5-7 years old. This means it is vulnerable to an array of cyberattacks that could present a security risk to the server where the HelioHost wiki is currently hosted. A list of vulnerabilities for this version of Mediawiki is listed at: https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-2360/product_id-4125/version_id-129225/Mediawiki-Mediawiki-1.19.html

Please let me know what you think,

Thanks in advance

We actually already rebuilt it (and updated MediaWiki since the version we use is ancient). The content didn't change, but the software behind it was brought current and some minor other changes were made. We just never finished or launched it. The updated version is currently on Github and last updated 6 months ago, but the repo is currently private. Wiki is a low-priority project for us.

If you're interested in contributing, please PM our user Bailey, who is in charge of the Wiki upgrade project.