CGI Scripts

Byron

There are a couple reasons why it would be better to put executable scripts in the cgi-bin directory. Efficiency and security are the two main reasons. If you keep your scripts in one directory you will always know where they are located. Apache also designates the cgi-bin directory as executable meaning that it is setup to execute all files in that directory. Not having to determine if a file should be executed or not each time a file is served makes it easier on the server. The World Wide Web Security FAQ discusses a few of the security reasons.

With that said, you may be able to create a .htaccess file to allow execution of scripts in your public_html directory. Check out the section on .htaccess files in Apache Tutorial: Dynamic Content with CGI. I haven't tried this and depending on how Apache is configured on the server it may or may not allow the override.

With that said, you may be able to create a .htaccess file to allow execution of scripts in your public_html directory. Check out the section on .htaccess files in Apache Tutorial: Dynamic Content with CGI. I haven't tried this and depending on how Apache is configured on the server it may or may not allow the override.

Thanks Meriadoc, that worked out great! :)

http://byrondallas.heliohost.org/time.pl

I have a couple of cgi files that need to be in the public_html directory and one is already password protected and I can protect the other with htaccess.

Now hopefully you can help me out with just one more little problem? Is there anyway to enlarge the small textarea on the edit page?

Thanks,

Byron