Full Graphics Contol in C++

Hey guys, I'm trying to write my own graphics header.

I've tested myself by witting one in OpenGL by only drawing things point by point.

I made my own line drawing, circle drawing functions, etc.

I made my own transparency and image drawing functions.

But now I want to, if possible, write directly to the video memory char by char if I can.

But from what I've found on Google, it doesn't work.

I made a pointer array to the video memory but it just didn't work.

Can someone give me a small piece of code that just writes a char of data, or even an int, or whatever, to the video memory at a position.

I wan to do as much of the work myself at as low of a level as possible in C++.

Thanks

ill take a look through my projects and the opengl super bible and see what i can come up with for you.

*breaks open the boxes of books*

ill post what/if i find anything of use to ya.

and just to clerify a bit... you're looking to write to video memory using opengl right? or are you trying to do

it at the hardware layer? cause the hardware layer i wont even touch, thats what api's were created for.

aight well i looked for some hardware level video memory manipulation

but to no avail. if you wanted help with dx or opengl i can do that. have

you tryed looking for stuff on using the HAL? thats where id start if i was

doing what you are trying to. going through windows is sluggish, if you

wanted the speeds that you get with dx and opengl you need to learn

how to go directly through the hardware acceleration layer.

first i appologize, i said hardware acceleration layer

HAL = hardware abstraction layer

i did a google search and you are right about it being vague lol

A hardware abstraction layer (HAL) is an abstraction layer, implemented in software, between the physical hardware of a computer and the software that runs on that computer. Its function is to hide differences in hardware from most of the operating system kernel, so that most of the kernel-mode code does not need to be changed to run on systems with different hardware. On a PC, HAL can basically be considered to be the driver for the motherboard and allows instructions from higher level computer languages to communicate with lower level components, such as directly with hardware.

Hardware abstraction layers are of an even lower level in computer languages than application programming interfaces (API) because they interact directly with hardware instead of a system kernel, therefore HALs require less processing time than APIs. Higher level languages often use HALs and APIs to communicate with lower level components.

both quotes from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardware_abstraction_layer

if your looking for the best way to take control of hardware putting some serious research into the HAL would definatly be worth it

• 4 weeks later...