DNS Host Change

imfree

Changing your DNS doesn't affect your account at all. It just may make your domain inaccessible, but you'll still be able to login at https://www.heliohost.org/login/ If you give us a more specific example of what DNS settings you're changing and why we could help you further.

I would like to migrate to a new Dns Host provider. Will that affect mu site's data and settings? If yes, then what precautions / backup, etc. do I need to take? And how will I know that the change / migration has been completed?

Please Note. I want to change my DNS Host provider only. Not my Domain Host. That is you. 

Please advise.

Edited by imfree

You just need to make sure whatever provider you use supplies the same records that our server does. Note that a few services like Afraid.org are known to be incompatible. The data of your account will not be affected, though your domains may stop working if you don't configure it right. The changes needed will all be made at your domain registrar and your new DNS provider's website, so you will need to contact them for assistance, as the process varies from provider to provider.

Please note that something.heliohost.org subdomains cannot use a third party DNS provider.

Also, as a reminder, please remember that we do not support any DNS providers other than our own because we cannot properly check for issues on servers we do not control. As a result, if you ask for support, you will be required to remove the third-party DNS and switch back to ours before we can help you.

• 3 weeks later...

I am extremely sorry. I have phrased my question wrongly.

I only wish to change my Domain name registrar. The place where you edit the nameservers, e.g. ns1 and ns2.heliohost.org, and not heliohost itself. What precautions \ backups do I need to take before I migrate to a new Domain name registrar? (I thought Domain name registrar was DNS in short. Sorry for that.)

None on our end.

Your old and new registrar should be able to help you with this. It's known as a domain transfer and is relatively straight forward. Usually you have to tell the old one you wish to unlock the domain to be transferred, then go to the new one and process a transfer for that domain.

• 2 weeks later...