What for?

Lilium

I have read the guide on how to register a domain. And I've read that we had to send personal info such as phone number, city and address. My question is, why? Are these really necessary?

I'm having doubts on this since I'm not convinced that my information is completely safe. Especially in a forum like this, no offense but HelioNet isn't a very known website.

WhoIs identification information is required by iCANN for all domain registrations. Doesn't ask me - it isn't my policy. And no, it will not be private. The information you give will be publicly disclosed - you can easily find WhoIs information on any domain with a quick Google search. No, you aren't allowed to give fake information.

I can also confirm this, an example to look at could be http://whois.sc/heliohost.org (you can replace heliohost.org with any domain name)

There are services where you can pay to have your information hidden (well the service puts their information there instead), But I really don't find it that big of a deal, i've owned a couple domains (for about 5 years total) and the information really isn't that useful. Sure the address is, but don't do anything on your site to make people mad at you.