Other Discussion Points

Ashoat

Other Discussion Forum  

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

AverageJoe pointed out to me that there are a good amount of "forum game" and "spam"-type discussions going on in Other Discussion, so I have disabled the accumulation of posts and points in that forum. Only problem is, if there is a genuinely good discussion going on in "Other Discussion" then that discussion won't be getting points or posts. Which brings me to my question:

Should we disallow forum games in Other Discussion so that real discussions get their due posts/points, or should be disable post/point accumulation in that forum?

Let me know what you guys think. I really have no opinion on this subject, so I'll let the members dictate the rules on this one.

PS: Yes, I know I am contacting myself. Couldn't think of a better location for this topic.

PPS: AverageJoe: I would have replied to your PM, but IPB wouldn't let me for some reason.

I vote the first vote, just disallow the point accumulation as for current actions.

And see the response.

If the spam insists, just remove the relevant topics and forum games as well.

AverageJoe: I would have replied to your PM, but IPB wouldn't let me for some reason.

No problem.

I think you should do both. Though if you do the latter I'm sure idiotic threads such as "change the letter" and "change the letter 2" will not get many more replies. After all you must really have no life if you spend your spare time changing letters on a forum for no reason.

I actually thought some games like Who Has The Hat were pretty entertainning. Just make a subforum named Games within Other and disable post boosting there?

Actually, if djbob is ok with the bandwidth usage due to spam, your idea is ok.

But I did prefer to save the bandwidth for necessary objective e.g. HelioHost hosting bandwidth

not for unnecessary things e.g. Forum Games.

AverageJoe: why do both? If you disallow forum games, that clears the way for intelligent discussion. Why not allow those discussions to accumulate points and posts?

Forum games aren't the only type of spam. Next it would be what <insert item here> do you like, or some other off-subject, non intelligent, conversation. The only way I can see to allow helions on that forum is to strongly enforce a no spam policy. That would mean locking/deleting all the game threads and unnecessary threads.

Here's an idea, we should have a forum called something like "Chit Chat" that would contain games and other forum topics that don't deserve helions. As it is now, I do not believe you should get helions for posting in other discussion.

Actually, I've tried to stop posting as much in other discussion because of the fact that I was playing "idiotic games" as Average Joe said.

@wizard: I'm not sure I ever understood the who has the hat game...

Oh well... make the mod apps up and let the mods handle each forum with their responsibility.

Granting Helions by reviewing the posts inside (this would take time for mods)

OR penalize Helions from those spammers found inside. (this is better one)

That could make full use of mods right?

Mods cannot penalize for every post in a forum game. That's too difficult. It's much easier to say yes or no to post/point incrementation.

Here's an idea, we should have a forum called something like "Chit Chat" that would contain games and other forum topics that don't deserve helions. As it is now, I do not believe you should get helions for posting in other discussion.
My only problem is that I'm not sure if the "Other Discussion" forum would have any more use.

Mods cannot penalize for every post in a forum game. That's too difficult. It's much easier to say yes or no to post/point incrementation.

My only problem is that I'm not sure if the "Other Discussion" forum would have any more use.

I'm not really all that up on forum setup, but what about the sub-forum idea? Or is it not possible to dissable incrementation for a solitary sub-forum?

Let's see. I haven't really been on much for a few days, so I don't know if I missed something, but I just posted in other discussion and received no Helions...

I'm assuming motion passed?