do you trust wikipedia

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'd have to go with the view that Wikipedia is kinda like open source.

is there a risk factor involved yes there is. but as with any Open source project the larger the community the lower the risk. i don't really see 2 million people from around the world conniving together just to bring YOU wrong information, do you?

Short answer, YES.

Long answer... well you'd have to see my PhD thesis paper for that...

Just kidding.

But I believe your argument has a hole. If we talk about a specific Wikipedia article, it is unlikely two million people have checked it over and edited it to make it truthful. Some articles only have one or two people maintaining them, so it would be easy for such an article to have errors.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brfxxccxxmnpc...mnckssqlbb11116

this could be true, but might not...you just don't know.

Of course this information doesn't mean much, but if it's something little you are looking for, you may not be able to compare it's reliability.

the parents are just selfish and inconsiderate--perhaps mentally retarded. I mean, they are protesting against a rule that makes perfect sense. I'm sure neither of the parents would want be named some ridiculous name pronounced "abil" It's just stupid.

The unfortunate thing about this wiki, is that I think it's probably true...

the parents are just selfish and inconsiderate--perhaps mentally retarded. I mean, they are protesting against a rule that makes perfect sense. I'm sure neither of the parents would want be named some ridiculous name pronounced "abil" It's just stupid.

The unfortunate thing about this wiki, is that I think it's probably true...

Agreed, one of the more selfish things Ive seen in a while. If I were that kid Id legally change my name and disown them.

Um...right

Well, there seems to be parents all over that think that what they name there kid is some kind of joke. I've heard stories of people that were born in the sixties with names like bright rainbow and stuff. Actually, the girls soccer coach at my school is named Pleasant Dike....I know that's not as bad as it could be, but it's incredibly likely that the parents did that on purpose..

drop table students,

now that's funny

i'm conflicted on the naming issue cuz where i'm from your name usually derived from a situation or feelings of you parents at the time of your birth.

e.g.

Itai -> Do as you please (Directed to God) (My mother had given up on life)

Tatenda -> We are thankful

IsheNgaakudwe -> Let the lord be praised

should names be reasonable? yea but there shouldn't be a law that forces you to do so. it's unnecessary and i feel its just having a law where one isn't needed.

-Sunshine is guaranteed to the masses(ca)

-Animals are banned from mating publicly within 1,500 feet of a tavern, school, or place of worship(ca)

-It is illegal to rob a bank and then shoot at the bank teller with a water pistol(lo)

-One may not dye a duckling blue and offer it for sale unless more than six are for sale at once(ke)

-You may not tap your feet, nod your head, or in any way keep time to the music in a tavern, restaurant, or cafe(nh)

-On Sundays citizens may not relieve themselves while looking up(nh)

-While it is legal to shoot bears, waking a sleeping bear for the purpose of taking a photograph is prohibited(al)

-It is considered an offense to push a live moose out of a moving airplane(al)

www.dumblaws.com

Those are dumb laws... I think that the name law does serve a purpose, but I also think it instigates the stupid people who would name their kids something idiotic in the first place, to want it even more. Bottom line while people should be more considerate of their kids idiots will be idiot and we end up with people ending up with names like, Richard Sweat (a popular nickname for Richard is D i c k). Can you imagine the humiliation of that kid during school? Being called D i c k Sweat for 12 years of your life, cant imagine that being all that much fun.

Have any of you heard of Version 2.0?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3451207.stm

Yeah, but Danny Boodman T. D. Lemon 1900 never touched ground either, they planning that for their son as well?

*Legend of 1900 is Wizard's all time favorite movie*

Anyways I have never seen any wrong info on Wikipedia except twice, and both incidents were minor.