do you trust wikipedia

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't really trust Wikipedia but I use it anyway since it has the most topics. When I go to commercial encyclopedias such as MSN Encarta Premium, Britannica, et cetera, they do not have some topics that I need to research. Even though I do not trust Wikipedia, I at least trust it more than just a regular website.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember a couple years ago, when I was in 4th grade, I added my birthday to WikiPedia, and I thought it was hilarious when it was gone a couple hours later o.O

I definitely trust Wikipedia.

People that don't think that they are really smart because 'anyone can edit it,' but it is unrealistic.

Any Ridiculously edited Wikipedia Article is found within minutes, and i have never found anything wrong on wikipedia.

Go the Wiki!

Being a Wikipedia editor, I know that there is a vast team of people who sort through the "recently edited" lists of articles to make sure no edits are volatile enough to cause harm. However, even if something does get past, anything that is used as material for a paper should be well cited enough to not have to use Wikipedia as a source, but just cite the websites cited themselves.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see anything wrong with Wikipedia, such as nothing is wrong with Firefox or any other open source project. There are very strict rules, and if you edit something it will most likely get changed within an hour so no one receives any false information. There are tons of admins that work to keep it right.

As for school projects and such, it is best to be aware of the info it gives you, and it's not good to site it as it's a wiki. I would have to say that it's a great starting point to get you on the right track.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...