Moving account

prisme

Hi, I have decided to switch servers and I am getting prepared for it.

I am trying to backup my websit and i have a few questions

When going through the backup wizard I see this:

Note: You can only use this option to move your account to another server or to download a copy of your account. You cannot restore Full Backups through your cPanel interface.

Does this mean Ill have to split up the backup files? I am confused

Also I've read the documentation and it would seem like cp will keep a copy of the backup on the server (I dont even have space for that as the site is just over 500 mb) 

And, after I get the new account how can I restore the full site?

Thanks

The full backup is a compressed archive that contains EVERYTHING from your account including all settings, domains, emails, files, databases, etc. Basically the warning is telling you that you won't be able to download this file, delete your account, create a new account, and just upload the backup. The backup contains instructions on how to create your account so it can't be used on an account that is already created. The full backup is still useful because you can download it and extract it and get all of your databases and files and everything from within the archive.

If your site is 500 MB the backup will likely be considerably smaller than that. It uses gzip compression, and most html, php, text files, etc. can achieve 90% compression. Files like images and movies are already fairly well compressed so they will only get maybe 10% compressed using gzip. The point is that the compressed archive will not take up 500 MB unless your 500 MB is all highly compressed files like movies or zip files.

After you create your new account you will need to add any alias domains, subdomains, addon domains, create new databases, create new database users, restore the database data from the .sql files in your backup, upload the files into public_html etc. It's a bit of work, but we can help you figure it all out if you have questions.

I would also like to point out that if you're a donor, an admin can transfer your account between servers for you. That means you don't need to backup, delete, recreate, and restore. You just have an active account, and then everything is transferred to the next server without losing anything or having to recreate anything. If you're interested in transferring to Tommy please be aware that the free signups usually fill in 5-10 seconds daily, so it takes most people a couple of days to get lucky and get one of the limited free Tommy accounts. Being a donor also means that you don't have to deal with that hassle. We can transfer your account to Tommy even if the server is full for the day.

Hi so I went for the full backup option and left it do it's thing

I came today and I didn't receive any email notification and there is nothing under 

Backups Available for Download:

I looked in the file manager and couldn't find signs of a backup, but I feel like the space used increased a little bit;  ( altough I'm not very sure)

You're right. I don't see a full backup, nor do I see a backup in progress. I started a new full backup on your account and it should put the archive in /home/prisme/ It should also send you an email when it's done.