The first of my game dev tutorials

Hey helionet! I just put up my first tutorial! And by first I do mean first, like first I've ever writen first.

It's fairly short but if anyone has the inclination and time I wouldn't mind some constructive feedback!

That meens any sort of spelling/gramatical/syntax errors, as well as any thing you think i could do to

make it better.

Burning Tutorial #1

Thanks and Enjoy!

Wow! Quite the list! Thank you CriBaby for the contribution :)

I'll start making changes to it tonight.

Posting here works, that'll keep others who want to contribute from posting duplicate corrections ;)

PS: Oh yeah, forgot to say that anyone who contributes to this will be mentioned in the tutorial for it :) If you want your real name just leave it in the post or send it to me in PM, otherwise I'll use your helionet name.

Edit:

Corrections List

Original: "That means that I will not be covering what pointer is for"

Change to: "That means I will not be covering what 'pointer' is, for"

I changed it to: That means I will not be covering things like: making a function call, referencing variables or what a pointer is.

Original: "First off a brief overview…"

Change to: "First, a brief overview:"

Fixed

Original: "dive right in…"

Change to: "dive right in[. OR !]"

Fixed

Original: "What you will learn:...

Change to: "You will learn...

Changed to: What you will learn is how easy it is to...

Also, by screenshots do you meen of the code? or of the running program? Again, much thanks!

How come the tutorial's in PDF format? *Me gags at the thought of adobe*

Google foxit reader for an alternative to adobe's acrobat.

It didn't seem much like a tutorial. It was very brief, short, and did not have much content. I would wait until you have a full tutorial on d3d before you release.

BTW I think DirectX is horrible, openGL ftw :)

Though that is a bit hypocritical since I'm working on a HL2MP mod (in which the engine uses DirctX).

Joe

*pokes*

You recomend what instead?

It didn't seem much like a tutorial. It was very brief, short, and did not have much content. I would wait until you have a full tutorial on d3d before you release.

I said it was short, and what it contained... and if i were to write a tutorial on the whole of D3D, it wouldn't be a tutorial it would be a book! Short and sweet and covering one or two topics, thats what a tutorial is.

BTW I think DirectX is horrible, openGL ftw :)

Though that is a bit hypocritical since I'm working on a HL2MP mod (in which the engine uses DirctX).

Lol I've used openGL and I like it as well, I think they both have equal merit. Overall I think that openGL is easier to start but is more of a hastle in the long run than DX, just an opinion though.

*pokes*

You recomend what instead?

HTML, XHTML, XML, SGML, etc, etc.

Blah, I spose I could do that as long as they remain as short as this one.

What you got against pdf anyway? I thought it a fairly universal format.

What if I embed a pdf reader in the page so it doesnt navagate away from

the site? Would that be better?

PDF is widespread, yes, but anyone without PDF software is screwed. If you write in HTML, you won't have that problem, because the only way they couldn't read that file is if they didn't have a web browser, and if that was the case, they couldn't even get on your site in the first place. XD

There is also the point that PDF's are really, really annoying to load.

Totally agree, I am running Linux and I would have to install xpdf just to read your tutorial. Then I'd have to set Iceweasel to open the PDF with xpdf. Too lazy...

Iceweasel

Someone is running an open source operating system :)

You know it.

Debian Lenny ftw. :ph34r:

Might switch to Sid sometime in the future.

Actually, Iceweasel was a pain at first, there was a weird bug that made .mozilla a folder owned by root, and Iceweasel wouldn't load at all.

Anyways, getting to the post at hand: if you want to make more tutorials in the future, save yourself the bite in the [bleeped!] later by making a mysql database + php to work with now.