Do we really need Helions?

Ashoat

Helions and the Store  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm sort of starting to think we should get rid of Helions.

• With the ad plan no longer having ads and offering 250mb disk/2500mb BW, both hosting plans in the store are rendered useless.
  • The "fun" items in the store aren't used often and are kind of pointless.
  • The only useful item left in the store is the domain registration. However, at this point it might be easier just to offer one domain per 500 posts, because...
    • I've gotten domain requests from people with like 120 posts (shouldn't be enough) that got that much Helions by just collecting interest.
    • People pass on their Helions to friends if they don't need them, and then I end up paying for domains for people who haven't even posted.
  • The store is buggy and complicated. Just a month or so ago it screwed up and gave the wrong user Helions, and for every domain somebody buys I have to communicate over PM and that's much more difficult than using the standard forums.
Are there really any uses left for Helions and the store?

PS: AverageJoe, I got your PM but for some reason IPB won't let me reply. We're kind of running an outdated version of IPB... I'll upgrade sometime soon.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[*]The only useful item left in the store is the domain registration. However, at this point it might be easier just to offer one domain per 500 posts

I would agree to that. As an example, I have over 3000 helions and just over 200 posts, thats around 100 posts worth of helions more than I'd have from posts alone, and thats without getting helions from other people/glitches, just straight interest.

Ironically, I'm within one collection of helions from having enough for a domain--ha, guess that proves your point right? I only have 2** posts. I think the 500 post thing would work. However, am I allowed to be a hypocrite to my previous statement and buy a domain tomorrow night ? :lol:

Just had another thought though--if you go the route of 500 posts instead of interest--those people who are currently not posting much but just collecting interest would probably start spamming like crazy...

Eh, I don't think it would be that bad. Either way, giving people domains for nothing isn't really a solution to the spamming problem.

However, am I allowed to be a hypocrite to my previous statement and buy a domain tomorrow night ?
Ermm... I'd really prefer that you wait until you have at least 300 posts. You have less than half of what you should...

I think we should get rid of it all together. The only problem is you would have to make posts in the "Other" forum not count. I would like to see people get rewarded for discussing web-development / hosting / related issues, not playing scrabble on a forums board.

As it is, I make 2x,xxx helions in interest. Thats four domain names. If someone else got that amount of helions, they might abuse it (I really havn't been using heliohost lately, since I've been busy).

I think we should have a karma level/system. Where if someone makes a succesful/helpful post, you can give them a rep/karma point. And use that instead. This would force people to talk more about web development / hosting (what the site is actually about) than playing "Find the hat" or posting "I agree" a million times.

Just my two cent,

Joe

The only problem is you would have to make posts in the "Other" forum not count.
Already done ;)

I think we should have a karma level/system. Where if someone makes a succesful/helpful post, you can give them a rep/karma point. And use that instead. This would force people to talk more about web development / hosting (what the site is actually about) than playing "Find the hat" or posting "I agree" a million times.
Hmmm... I see a potential for corruption though. A few people could make a coalition and give each other a bunch of "karma" just to get a domain. Perhaps if only reputable members could give out "karma"?

However, am I allowed to be a hypocrite to my previous statement and buy a domain tomorrow night ?
Ermm... I'd really prefer that you wait until you have at least 300 posts. You have less than half of what you should...

Ok, I was mostly just suggesting it--I don't have a need for a domain anyway. First reason is I have one til september, second reason is that I can't figure out my cpanel password or username or something :wacko:--had it saved and forgot it...then switched computers.

I think I would like the idea of throwing out interest but keeping helions, and then we'd use them as a point system. The better and longer your post, the more helions you get( seems like this has been suggested somewhere hasn't it?) then update the store so that something is there.

As you all can see, I got this amount of posts, but in my bank, I've got 15k Helions.

For your all information, I've just get my domain from djbob, where I get those Helions??

From someone generous enough to pass me 5k Helions, and then I collect the rewarding interest until today.

Seriously, it's unfair. (You all can put the blame on me, but I think I do am quite an active member right?)

So, to avoid further problem(like my case) to occur in future, we should eliminate the interest system.

But we do can keep the Helions, but without any transfer.

That would ensure 5k Helions for a domain registration.

It works the same with exactly 500 posts.

(I believed this issue starts from How to collect interest automatically) which is rather ridiculous.)

@JCX, you think it's unfair your losing 15k? I'm losing 1 million, plus 15k plus some more k =P

I'm more concerned about the forums than about some stupid helions.

Hmmm... I see a potential for corruption though. A few people could make a coalition and give each other a bunch of "karma" just to get a domain. Perhaps if only reputable members could give out "karma"?

Well I say only one karma point per helpful reply, per thread. You could also display it.

ie

billy asks question

joe answers question

billy is grateful and therefore rewards joe with +1 karma. (which shows up on joes post).

joe goes and spams

moderator gives joe -1 karma

joe now has 0 karma.

I like the Karma idea. I think one should maintain 50 karma always in order to get a domain. Or something to that effect. Karma deteriorates if you don't visit the forum. :)

Or you could do something like FriHost, they'll kill your website account if you don't have 15 posts a month, and all post are monitored for quality. Which actually sounds a lot like what is being mentioned above.

On another note, I love "who has the hat"....

Karma sounds like a interesting idea, but there is one major problem: what mod is available for the features you guys described?

Just get the regulars to do it. Anyone who's Rank 4-5 or higher should have this power. If they've been around long enough to post that much, they can't have spammed all the way there neh? I mean, it seems to me that high ranked members care about the forum, or else why would they have posted so much? Giving them this power would just help them keep their hangout clean of annoying n00bs that spam and flame.

A disciplinary system should be set up for the mods to deal with anyone abusing that power, thus relieving mods of heavy work, yet still making them relevant. Best of all, it keeps the forums clean. Hierarchy ftw.

On another note.. if we go with this system, do the mods still have to go through profiles everyday? :rolleyes: <_<

After a bit of searching I could only find a reputation mod, but it allows all users to make the rep go down. So I don't know if this is feasible.

http://mods.invisionize.com/db/index.php/f/6192

I also found a rating mod, it compares itself to the feedback on ebay, but I also don't know if that would work.

http://mods.invisionize.com/db/index.php/f/8115