Do we really need Helions?

Ashoat

Helions and the Store  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

:o

I dont visit for a couple of days and this is what you guys do!!! ;)

As for my 2 cents of input,

Store, Bank, interest - Never really bothered with them that much so i cant say i'll miss them.

Helions - Technically arent a good idea from what i can tell from the above posts BUT they did wonders for one's ego. It may be too late now but i think they were quite fun, if you treat them solely as collectables. the kid in me always liked seeing who has the most.

But thats just me. oh well, so long helions.

I like the karma idea, could it work?

I agree with phoexer, we should've kept the helions just as a memorable.

Anyways, AFAIK, there's no system in IPB that'll let us use the Karma system right now, so I think it's a no as of now.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to keep the points for bragging rights, all new posts shouldn't earn helions.

It'd be funny if you added stupid stuff to the store, like you can buy "pi" or "a blank stare". Then you can send it to people to indicate emotion or just randomly.

My question is how do you know if you've posted 400 times exactly, and if you haven't requested a Top Level Domain, do your posts from before this change count?

I'd like to keep the points for bragging rights, all new posts shouldn't earn helions.
That's really not fair for new members.

Then you can send it to people to indicate emotion or just randomly.
Just PM them. I really don't see a point in stuff like that...

My question is how do you know if you've posted 400 times exactly
<---- Post count. For existing members, we'll just go with the honor system.

and if you haven't requested a Top Level Domain, do your posts from before this change count?
No.

I agree on bragging rights, but i believe you should still earn then for new posts. after all, if they just become stagnant they wont be reflecting much other than a snap shot of right now. where's the fun in that?

As for their usage I cant say that buying a blank stare works for me, but how about populate the store with member products e.g. program code, document etc hence to access that material one has to be a member and spend a little.

I doubt people are going to want to give HelioNet an exclusive license for their code... and anyways, I'm not aware of a member-submission-based store for IPB. (although I bet there is one somewhere)

About the idea of pheoxer, why don't we make full use of the intellectual rights here?

Most of us here have strong programming/server setup/OS background (like you all)

and some of us here are still learning (like me)

If you wish and don't mind, you can upload your compiled scripts/experience into the store (in return, djbob can give away Helions or others)

while noobies can use Helions to get those knowledge.

Isn't it great?

I'm having trouble following this... So the idea is, from this point forward, to get a domain, someone would have to post four hundred times? So, theoretically, if someone had 399 whenever this was implemented, they could get the domain once they reached 799, or is it just 400?

By the way, this idea you guys are talking about probably won't work...noobies trying to learn won't learn much from buying that stuff in the store. As far as any programming, other than visual basic, goes, I'm a complete noob. I barely know HTML! I find it really hard to pick up stuff from looking at scripts, code, etc... could just be me though...

Yeah, I don't see this working.

So, theoretically, if someone had 399 whenever this was implemented, they could get the domain once they reached 799, or is it just 400?
It works like this:

1) New members get one domain for a year per 400 posts.

2) Users that have more domains than they would if they registered after the rule was activated (ie. one domain & 200 posts, or two domains & 500 posts) get to keep their current domains, but their post cost resets as of now. So for the first example, the person will need to have 600 before they can register a new domain / renew their old one, and the second example needs 900 posts.

3) Users that have less domains than they would if they registered after the rule was activated (ie. zero domains & 300 posts, or one domains & 600 posts) will be treated like new users. So for the first example, the person will need to have 400 post for their first domain, and the second person will need to have 800 posts before they can register a second domain or renew their first one.

Well... for me that programming store worth a penny.

At least I can have an easy source of programming,

or maybe let us post some of our artwork in store, just like DeviantArt?

Well... for me that programming store worth a penny.

At least I can have an easy source of programming,

or maybe let us post some of our artwork in store, just like DeviantArt?

Deviantart is Deviantart, Helionet is not Deviantart.

I think the basics, such as more people and mods, should be put before brainstorming new fancy features. What are features if no one is here to use them?

Everyone keeps saying that posting for domains will result in spam.

I'm pretty sure we would notice if someone posted 400 spam posts! Thats just a bit more than obvious.

And as for the store, there wasn't anything in there that can't be requested on the forums. There is a forum for the heliohost post for host account, and the only other stuff was name colors and stuff like that (and they were all sold out). So the store was pointless, but It was just kind of nice to see how many helions everyone had. I'm fine with it either way.

As for these other ideas, I think making people pay for coding examples (or hugs, or art, or anything else like that) WILL result in spam. People have to post to get helions, and they need helions to buy the code or hugs or whatever. So I think that is just an all around bad idea.