Some Ideas for Helionet.org

EmpJoe

It's like a mini-chatroom at the top of the forum. I don't want to add shoutboxes or chatrooms as they slow the forum down and sometimes contribute to spam. I wouldn't mind an IRC room, but I'm not sure if it would be that popular.

Moving to "Contact HelioNet" forum...

Well if we we're to do a chatroom it would probably be an IRC channel in which members could join and get support. I really don't think that it would be too popular, however. We would also have to keep 24 hour moderation of the chatroom. It's just not feasible.

As for the shoutbox, I think it's just a plain bad idea. It's only going to be used to spam on useless and non-intelligent topics.

Joe

I don't think the chatroom is worth it. Effectively, that is what the other discussion should be--basically a chat room--without the characteristics of a chatroom, just the topics..

Anyway, I just had an "idea for Helionet.org" as the title says.

I know it's a very important part of helionet to have message sent by the big bold red letters at the top of the page, but to me it seems rather---I don't know, bad. I think I would rather have something less obtrusive there stating: no spamming, read the guidelines; and then have maybe something more conspicuous down at the bottom of the page.

I have a slow internet connection so I spend a lot of time looking at that for the page to load so that's what gave me the idea.

Well if we we're to do a chatroom it would probably be an IRC channel in which members could join and get support. I really don't think that it would be too popular, however. We would also have to keep 24 hour moderation of the chatroom. It's just not feasible.

As for the shoutbox, I think it's just a plain bad idea. It's only going to be used to spam on useless and non-intelligent topics.

Joe

You could just use a bot to keep things calm. Nowadays they are very effective and some are equipped with anti-idiot and anti-riot gear. :D

Also, we could equipped the bot to answer questions asked a thousand times, so that they won't pollute our forums anymore.

I don't think the chatroom is worth it. Effectively, that is what the other discussion should be--basically a chat room--without the characteristics of a chatroom, just the topics..

Anyway, I just had an "idea for Helionet.org" as the title says.

I know it's a very important part of helionet to have message sent by the big bold red letters at the top of the page, but to me it seems rather---I don't know, bad. I think I would rather have something less obtrusive there stating: no spamming, read the guidelines; and then have maybe something more conspicuous down at the bottom of the page.

I have a slow internet connection so I spend a lot of time looking at that for the page to load so that's what gave me the idea.

Well, chatrooms provide interaction that's just a tad faster, no? I would enjoy meeting up with members of this forum in real-time.

I agree that the Big Red Text has proven ineffective, and looks unprofessional.

However, a replacement for the BRT is not readily coming forth from my mind. I'm guessing once all the new stuff is in place, djbob will have no need for it, and could tone it down somewhat.

Seriously, those suggestion aren't pointless, but not really practical though.

A shoutbox would be best if all of the members use it wisely, which I don't think it will happen.

It will only used for spams.

While the chatroom, I don't think it's a good idea though, because if you noticed everytime you log in Helionet, at the bottom there, there's only <5 guests+members online, so what for we need a chatroom?

Somemore if you're talking on support chatroom, you expected djbob sit there 24-7 to give advise in chatroom?

Anyway, thanks for the idea ^_^

I think that's why I like Joe's irc channel idea so much, because in irc, the text throughout the day is always there, so someone could scroll up and read what happened 24 hours ago, provided that they're logged in. Maybe if we had a chatroom with a similar feature...

There's only a few members on at one time now, but the new changes should draw more people in soon.

I think we shouldn't consider an IRC chatroom until we are sure we could have at least 2 moderators idle on it at any 24-7.

Even then it's far fetched.

Also, we could equipped the bot to answer questions asked a thousand times, so that they won't pollute our forums anymore.

Or we could make a FAQ ;)

I think we shouldn't consider an IRC chatroom until we are sure we could have at least 2 moderators idle on it at any 24-7.

Even then it's far fetched.

Or we could make a FAQ ;)

seems to me that people only read FAQs some of the time...like when they are having a problem or are incredibly bored. Even if you somehow force the faq upon newly registered users, they probably wouldn't read it--kinda like the EULA or whatever that comes with software. Who actually reads that?