XML and Json PHP Extensions not Found

Guest akka

Guest akka

Hello,

While I tried to re-install Textpattern via Softaculous, I received the following error:

• Required PHP extension not found : xml
  • Required PHP extension not found : json I

I was able to install Textpattern a short wile ago, and I don't remember doing anything to PHP configurations except for changing PHP version to ea-php72 in MultiPHP Manager.

I'm not sure what I did to cause this but any help would be greatly appreciated!

PHP 7.x is not backwards compatible and will not run a lot of software made for 5.x. Textpattern's system requirements list PHP 5.4+, so you need to use 5.4/5.5/5.6 to run this. The 7.x versions won't work.

Change your PHP version to 5.6 and try again.

Guest akka

Thank you for such a fast response! I appreciate it.

Yes, I'm quite sure the extensions should be there because I was able to install Textpattern even when I had php 7.2 enabled a day or two ago.

I changed the PHP version to 5.6 and tried installing Textpattern again, but still go the same error unfortunately.

Maybe it's better to not try Textpattern, since Wordpress might force PHP 7 as early as December 2019.

I plan on using Wordpress for the most part, so switching to PHP 5.* might bite me later on.

I plan on using Wordpress for the most part, so switching to PHP 5.* might bite me later on.

WP is our number one cause of high load suspensions, as well as hacked accounts (many of the themes and extensions for it are disguised backdoors, which hackers use to either set up a phishing site or send spam, both of which can lead to a permanent suspension). It's laughably insecure, very high maintenance, and horribly coded, so much so that just about anything else available is better than WP.

We highly recommend avoiding WP if you can. A lot of our users who don't end up frustrated when some hacker uses a backdoor in their theme, which almost invariably results in them ending up banned for spam or phishing...

Most of our users have found Joomla to be a good alternative that doesn't have these issues.

Guest akka

Sure thing. I've just deleted WP and tried installing Joomla, but I'm getting crazy errors from Softaculous saying PHP mysqli extension isn't found

I know it's there, and I can even see it in phpMyAdmin!

*Update* - I was able to manually install Joomla in web root and Textpattern in a sub directory. So, no need don't worry about me anymore.

Thank you for the help and suggestion to switch from WP! It's nice to get away from it!