MMO's

Ivar T

One MMO genre you've probably already heard of is MMORPG, here's another one:

Massive Multiplayer Online Real Time Strategy - An example of an Real Time Strategy (RTS) game would be Age of Empires.

Wikipedia Article

I really like the idea of being a demigod or some kind of VIP with the power of controlling people. It appears as if it is difficult to make a pleasant game in the genre though when reading the wikipedia article.

I've tried Dreamlords, but it appears as if the game supersedes my graphic card.

(screenshot)

EVE Online doesn't appear to be in either genre from what I've read, wikipedia just calls it an MMO.

I'm thinking abit about what would make the ultimate MMO - Anyone played Freelancer? A space sim game, not an MMO, but it had a multiplayer aspect. The thing about it was that the game had this great modding community, and people had servers for Multiplayer gaming with these different mods - bringing MMO game modding to the masses would be cool. Would be complicated though I guess, but hey, that's MMO!

I think this topic probly belongs in the 'Art and Entertainment' section.

In reply though,

Freelancer is, hands down, my favorite space flight/fighter sim.

MMORPG's are by far the most popular of MMO's, though I have seen one or two MMORTS's in development in recent years.

As for EVE, the game is hard to place in one genre of MMO because it has aspects from a couple different styles of game play. RPG, RTS, and I wouldnt say that is a flight/fight sim, because from what Ive seen all the combat is automated, but I believe they catagorize the game as that as well.

There is a game that has a huge fan base and is entirely mod based, though I cant for the life of me think of why its so freakin big, called Second Life. The idea is that people create and modify the world entirely on there own, no point to it that i know of though.

Ok, what about a mostly two-dimensional Open Source MMO?

In two-dimensional I mean that you see the characters from top straight down, like in that old lego online game, Galidor Quest (PS: Large Animal's version can't save your game, bummer). This way you could make it easy for pretty much anyone to make an area to the game. There should be a nice scenario editor aswell.

To give more feel to the game you could have a box on a corner of the screen where you see snippets of videos, appropriate for the scenes, actions and characters you meet. I don't know if it would break copyright rules if you suddenly saw an exploding car from a James Bond movie. It could also be a box where you see images, animated or whatever, as avatars of other players nearby.

It should be possible to make pretty complicated stuff out of it - you could have a dynamic world that have aspects from many different game genres, and as it is 2D simple more people can join expanding the game. You also get rid of the camera problems you get in 3D games.

The idea is ofcourse, to have different mods to the MMO for different servers.

• 1 month later...

Hehe, World of Warcraft. But...I got bored of that. I played it for about 5 months then it started to get slow. Everything was just the same - kill this, kill that, fly a gryphon here, kill horde there...But then (3 months later) I went back and after just 2 months, quit again.

Now I play COUNTER STRIKE: SOURCE! - It's massive (have you seen all the maps and servers) it's online (big red letters on the box: Internet required) and it's a game (duh!).

After getting bored of Granado Espada - a free MMORPG where one special feature is that you can control a team of three characters, I went for a hopefully more intellectually challanging browser-based game called Chosen Space.

• 4 weeks later...

I liked Scions of Fate and Last Chaos. Two free MMORPG's that are decent graphic wise. However, I agree with most of you, MMO's eventually get boring and what is the point of a hack and slasher that you can't even hack and slash. Point and click = Fail and boring as crap. I am waiting for something amazing with an actual plot to come and make my day.