Latency issues, and network issues, both seemingly because of my laptop?

So I am extremely unqualified when it comes to network info, I don't know what to do with 'packets', nor do I have any idea how to read the mess that wireshark is. All I know is that my father (who, despite having this as his literal job) will not help me with the issue at hand. It doesn't effect his work so he doesn't really care about it, and only gave me the hint of "download Wireshark, it's what my company uses as a 'packet sniffer'."

So how this started was me coming home from college, I wanna chill out, play some games likes League or Rainbow Six. At my school, I had zero issues concerning my internet; had a rather stable connection the entire time there. I come home and boom: anytime I play a game my ping goes from a stable 40ms to around 2000ms or higher. during these ping spikes, I sometimes lose connection to my network on my laptop, phone, and tablet. According to my father, when I am not home these spikes never occur, and that they seem to be because of my laptop. He said it has to do with something about the amount it sends out or something. I don't know what to do or where to start, all I know is this is not my specialty, and I would appreciate assistance, either in learning how to read wireshark, or in how to handle my network issues while at home.

Technology/Internet is probably more appropriate here.

Are you using the crappy router that comes from your ISP? Also, does the latency only go through the roof during gaming or is it whenever the laptop is on the network (i.e. connected but sitting there idle)?

I cannot say why these types of things happen. I faced this type of issue about a year ago, to be more specific, suddenly increase in ping time and when the torrent gains some good speed  the router stops giving the PC any internet connection (only local network became accessible).

My router is TP-Link TL-WR720N . The above mentioned issues got fixed after firmware upgrade.