[HH#961671] cron job

HelioHost

Username: astron, Server: Tommy, Main domain: astron.heliohost.org

What is the reason why any kind of cron job, including a web-based service,

is banned, even using another server, such as https://www.easycron.com/ is

banned.

When a cron job is disabled or banned, the server is completely meaningless.

Maybe some of your team can understand it. Anybody can't need such a

webserver where cron job is permanently and fully disallowed.

*Kalju kaljukass@gmail.com *

Services like easy cron are allowed.

1. It's only cron scheduled through the cron scheduler that's limited,

2. and that's for load and security reasons.

1. This is not true or at least not working at the moment, ERROR 500

2. How it could be related to security. Fantastic answer.

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument 
to handle the request.
Please contact the server administrator
Edited by neptunus

That’s usually due to forgetting to change file permissions to 644. In some cases it can also be invalid htaccess files or just invalid code.

Keep in mind that internal cron jobs are limited to 2 per day. If you need more than 2 cron runs per day we can set up an external cron job that can run as often as every 5 minutes.

1. Excuse me, dear friends, to announce to you with deep sorrow that I was not born yesterday but have been working at 60+, special education and all my life in this field.
  2. Thank you for reminding me that the file permissions should be 644 the for the folders 755, etc.

Cron jobs are limited to 2 per day. If you need more than 2 cron a day we can run as often as 5 minutes.

3. Thank you once again, even though I read it a few days ago when I discovered that the cron job was no longer working.
  4. Thanks kindly for allowing me cron running in 5 minutes, it would be nice though I would need one to run every minute. Resource usage is close to zero. I only need it for one process. Otherwise, will satisfied also in 2 minutes, but if there is really nothing else to do, then let at least this 5 minute version stays allowed.
  5. Better half egg, if at all nothing.

In order to set up an external cron for you I need to know the url to the script. For instance, astron.heliohost.org/cron.php

1. Here is my full script if it is used from cpanel (it is what I want to use, ps I use it only for testing purposes and for nothing else, I'm testing there forum script. At this moment I have php 7.1 in use, but maybe in near future is needed to use php 7.2. It would be very nice, if I can have it possible to use and if needed to change by myself. Currently I can't change to php 7.2, because there is one unknown problem what I want to discover. 

Anyway, thanks, if it is possible. Everything I do there, is only for testing and helping people who have such a problem, I do it all for free.

2. This is for external service

​One more thing.

On last times the server is often down or cannot get connection, usually get message "ERROR 500" or server don't answer for long time, timeout, try again.

Edited by neptunus

The cron job ... has been set up to run every 5 minutes. I noticed that this URL gives the error "Exception: Invalid Task Method". Is this running as intended?

OK. Looks like there's no hope to get any help.
I'm talking about allowing server-based cron job, but it's probably pointless to tell, hope or speak at all if you don't make a difference between what is a web-based cron job and what is a server-based cron job.
Must look for a new server, nothing else to do. 
And this story what You speak abot security is also absolutely nonsense.
Edited by neptunus

We do not allow more than 2 server based crons.

The reason for the policy is both security and load.

• We've had people misuse the cron daemon in the past to run shell commands because we don't allow shell access. Limiting it to 2 commands per day prevents users from using crons in lieu of the blocked shell access.
  • Server-based cron also uses significantly more resources than a web-based cron, because a web based cron is run like any other web page and therefore restricted by the resource use limits like max execution time that we set on accounts. A server-based cron is not subject to these, and consequently can let users do things like leave stuff permanently running on their account, hogging resources. Since you share a server with thousands of other people, it's not fair for one user to be hogging everything and making everyone else's stuff slow down.