Tommy Downtime

HelioHost

The good news is Tommy's data is intact. We are currently backing up home directories, mysql, and postgresql databases before we try any further attempts to boot him up. We'll let you know when we have more information.

When will it be back up? I heard that the server is getting replaced.

The good news is Tommy's data is intact. We are currently backing up home directories, mysql, and postgresql databases before we try any further attempts to boot him up. We'll let you know when we have more information.

No server is getting replaced.. Just that we're going to have a new one. (That isn't a replacement for Tommy... Maybe an extension to it).

No server is getting replaced.. Just that we're going to have a new one. (That isn't a replacement for Tommy... Maybe an extension to it).

NOTE: PLEASE REMOVE THIS POST. SOMEHOW IT GOT POSTED TWICE.

I noticed that it posts it twice if you click the post/add reply button twice before it’s done posting it

Oh ok. So that means that we will have Tommy still.

Yeah we will.

Good. Got ricky, but have to wait until 8pm for the slots to open.

When do you estimate the backups will be available?

For what it's worth, we're not replacing the Eddie hardware he lives on, but it does need a new hard disk. With that in mind, it'll be at least the end of the month before we can fix Tommy (the disk would be installed on the 20th, then you need to allow for rebuild time).

So this is where things currently stand?...

There won't be another attempt to boot Tommy even after all backups have been created... and Tommy will definitely be down until installation of new disk and rebuild (end of month).

Ricky is the preferred option once backups are available.

Thanks!

Looking at Eddie, the disks do appear to be showing as normal at the moment (one is probably starting to die and went offline, the Eddie reboot woke it up again so we could get the data off of it). Assuming everything goes to plan in terms of backups, I can't see any reason he wouldn't want to give booting it another shot. If it's backed up, worst case is it doesn't run or trashes itself, and we're no worse off than if it wasn't tried at all.

Actually trying to boot it would be a good thing IMO, because manual backups usually are just tar files of home with .sql or .myi files thrown in. If cP runs, we can make proper archives that can restore automatically and include everything like domain configs, DNS zones, stats, etc. With those, we can just restore all the accounts after the rebuild (or move the accounts to another server if desired).

Looking at Eddie, the disks do appear to be showing as normal at the moment (one is probably starting to die and went offline, the Eddie reboot woke it up again so we could get the data off of it). Assuming everything goes to plan in terms of backups, I can't see any reason he wouldn't want to give booting it another shot. If it's backed up, worst case is it doesn't run or trashes itself, and we're no worse off than if it wasn't tried at all.

Actually trying to boot it would be a good thing IMO, because manual backups usually are just tar files of home with .sql or .myi files thrown in. If cP runs, we can make proper archives that can restore automatically and include everything like domain configs, DNS zones, stats, etc. With those, we can just restore all the accounts after the rebuild (or move the accounts to another server if desired).

So now that means we have to wait until next month for any repairs? Well, that means I'm going to have to suspend updates on my applications until the website comes back online. Once backups are complete, I am going to transfer them over to Ricky to get the website back up. For now, we just have to pray that CPanel runs and it gives us the Zones, so that wcats.tk will run perfectly as new on the website. Fingers crossed that things go well for the rebuild.