[Solved] Can't access server and transfer files via FTP

roguitar

I can't access the files directory, that is, the cpanel. This message shows in Google Chrome:

This site can't be reached 

ricky.heliohost.org's server ip address could not be found.

Try running Windows Network Diagnostics.

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

And when I try access via FTP, this message shows in Dreamweaver:

An FTP error occurred - cannot make connection to host. The remote host cannot be found.

I wonder if this is the definite end of Ricky server....

I recommend that in CPanel you navigate to FTP Accounts > Select the FTP account you want to use > Select 'Configure FTP Client' > Select FileZilla Configuration File. Once you have done this, import it into FileZilla. Otherwise it might be due to downtime.

EDIT: I just realised that your using Dreamweaver. I do know that when I tried to set it up manually in FileZilla, it did not work.

Edited by BlueyEmperor

I recommend that in CPanel you navigate to FTP Accounts > Select the FTP account you want to use > Select 'Configure FTP Client' > Select FileZilla Configuration File. Once you have done this, import it into FileZilla. Otherwise it might be due to downtime.

EDIT: I just realised that your using Dreamweaver. I do know that when I tried to set it up manually in FileZilla, it did not work.

Ok, but how will I do this? I've just said that I can't access CPanel... I'll try it later, perhaps...

Ok, I got it through FileZilla, but hilariously I couldn't do it via Dreamweaver. As I use Dreamweaver the most, I'd like to know if there's some solution for it.

Does anyone actually read the error message provided? The one from the browser is most meaningful.

So, this is problem with DNS. I bet that if roguitar would try to connect to "64.62.211.134" instead of "ricky.heliohost.org" (which actually should does not matter at all, there should be no difference in normal situation) then the connection would be succesful.

Let's try to diagnose why there is such DNS problem. Start with the source, HelioHost nameservers, let's check them for example with using my tool HelioHost DNS Checker or any DIG.

Answer from NS2 is correct, but NS1 have no informations about ricky.heliohost.org domain name, it returns the code "NXDOMAIN". That's mean that randomly, in ~50% of cases we won't connect to ricky.heliohost.org. Possibly also some other domain names are missing on NS1.

This needs admin intervention: fixing/synchronising DNS entries on NS1.

Yeah @Piotr GRD. The connection to the IP address of Ricky directly, may be successful. But even then the server isn't working. That's why cPanel isn't accessible. The hostname (ie, ricky.heliohost.org) doesn't resolve to it's IP.

This usually happens when the server goes down due to high load, however, the IP is independent of that.

Does anyone actually read the error message provided? The one from the browser is most meaningful.

So, this is problem with DNS. I bet that if roguitar would try to connect to "64.62.211.134" instead of "ricky.heliohost.org" (which actually should does not matter at all, there should be no difference in normal situation) then the connection would be succesful.

Let's try to diagnose why there is such DNS problem. Start with the source, HelioHost nameservers, let's check them for example with using my tool HelioHost DNS Checker or any DIG.

Answer from NS2 is correct, but NS1 have no informations about ricky.heliohost.org domain name, it returns the code "NXDOMAIN". That's mean that randomly, in ~50% of cases we won't connect to ricky.heliohost.org. Possibly also some other domain names are missing on NS1.

This needs admin intervention: fixing/synchronising DNS entries on NS1.

I've tried to connect using IP, as you said, but with no success... Like this:

http://64.62.211.134:2083/

And the error message provided is: ERR_CONNECTION_RESET

cPanel, after initial connection without domain name, redirects you automatically to ricky.heliohost.org. For me cPanel on Ricky works, I have logged in. Apart of server being sometimes slow, it's accessible, and everyone of us have 50% of chanses to get the correct DNS response from NS2.

For FTP connection you don't need to provide any domain name, there won't be redirection like with HTTP/HTTPS to cPanel, as FTP host provide the IP and you'll be able to manage files.

• Like 1