Reusing Usernames

HelioHost

Our account creation process has been improved.

When you create an account we actually create two accounts for you. One account is the hosting account itself, and the other is a forum account to make getting support easier. The way it worked before was if you deleted your hosting account you wouldn't be able to recreate that same username because your forum account still existed and would block anyone from choosing that username. This meant that you would need to get an admin to change your forum username temporarily before you would be able to recreate your hosting username. This was confusing for users because they would obviously think that since they can't reuse the username it must mean their old account wasn't deleted yet. It also made a lot more work for the admins because we would have to explain all of the above, then rename their forum account, and then rename it back once the new hosting account was created.

Now the account creation process not only allows you to use the same username as a forum account, but actually suggests it if it finds an already existing forum account that matches your email address. This also means that no one else can steal your username while you're in the middle of moving between two servers, because the only way you can have a username that already exists on the forums is if you have access to that email address.

The reason we implemented these changes now is because the Tommy server will be coming back online soon, and we want to make it as easy as possible for people to recreate their accounts. Let us know if you find any bugs or if things aren't behaving the way you would expect.

• Like 3

That's good to know that Tommy should come back soon, great news!

The reason we implemented these changes now is because the Tommy server will be coming back online soon, and we want to make it as easy as possible for people to recreate their accounts. Let us know if you find any bugs or if things aren't behaving the way you would expect.

When Tommy is brought back online, I know he was wiped and sites are gone but will the accounts automatically be recreated or will we need to re-sign up?

Do you need to donate again if you have already donated, like I did back in December for Tommy when he was still up? I don't want to lose more money over this.

Posts removed for being offensive. While snowm's tone is a bit upsetting, making comments such as the ones removed are also uncalled for.

It's a perfectly legitimate question to ask, though the "I don't want to lose more money over this" is pushing it and almost earned him a warning too.

Posts removed for being offensive. While snowm's tone is a bit upsetting, making comments such as the ones removed are also uncalled for.

It's a perfectly legitimate question to ask, though the "I don't want to lose more money over this" is pushing it and almost earned him a warning too.

Sorry about that. I am a little mad about this, but I will not say it again.

:blink:  :blink:  :blink: