Node.js

HelioHost

HelioHost is proud to announce that when the Tommy server comes back online we will be offering experimental node.js support. We will be posting a wiki article explaining how to get started with node.js soon. If you're not familiar with what this is check out https://nodejs.org/ We will be running node version 10.16.3 to begin with so make sure your applications are compatible. This is a feature that we've been asked about many times, and we're excited to offer it. Depending on the memory usage and load it puts on the server we may need to restrict the number of accounts that have access to it similar to how we have Tomcat access set up. Since node is really memory hungry we may need to enact memory limitations on each individual node instance as well. Let us know if you have any questions or comments.

• Like 1

Sounds exciting :lol:

I'm thinking of running Ghost, but that may be a bit memory-intensive so I'll take a call on whether to use a VPS instead (now that I can afford one!). But it'll be interesting to see how such applications fare on Tommy: it's not very common to get free NodeJS hosting like this and would probably open up a lot more options for people.

HelioHost is what allowed me to get started on web development (on Stevie, may he rest in peace)—especially since you were offering software like Python and Ruby. Node is now the new big thing so I'm sure it'll empower a lot more people to start their journey.

All the best!

• 2 weeks later...